Is this normal? Shoe heel only touches the floor at the most forward point.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by velvel87, Oct 24, 2015.

1. velvel87

velvel87 Senior member

Picked up a pair of Allen Edmonds Hillsborough's online new in box but something is off with the heel. Is this normal/can it be easily fixed through just wearing them? The heel only touches the ground at its most forward point. It will lay flat-ish if I put the shoes on, but I feel the added pressure by the most forward point of the heel. Any thoughts? [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior member

[​IMG]

I did not realize how joyful he was. But I am curious as to the answer. I've never seen this but I recognize there are others far more experienced than i.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015

3. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

It may be normal for some manufacturers but...in my opinion...it is not "best practices."

4. yanagi

yanagi Senior member

I'd return them for another pair.

5. Mica2015

Mica2015 Well-Known Member

First of all, Recap: http://www.styleforum.net/t/69958/proper-heel-height

Second of all, I have the same experience recently, but the manufacturer said it's normal and will go away with wear. However, my heel is not as lifted as yours are. Please see the picture below.

Final call, return them if you feel uncomfortable. The issue, whether the lifted heel is a defection or style, has no conclusion yet.
    [​IMG]

6. velvel87

velvel87 Senior member

Thanks! Allen Edmonds got back to me after sending them the shoes. They said it could happen if shoes are left unworn for a long period of time, but it should be undone after wearing them a few times. What are you going to end up doing? Keeping or returning?

7. velvel87

velvel87 Senior member

Sent it to Allen Edmonds and they said this can happen if the shoes are sitting around on their side for a long time. In this case it was several years. The shoes overall look and feel great and they will even out from wearing them.

Got them for a great deal so I really can't go wrong. Also, I like the sleek styling on these, although I'd prefer a penny loafer with this sole, but I'll be just fine with these.