• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this normal for new shell cordovans

tebow

Reaction score
I just got my first pair of Alden shell cordovans in the mail. They looked perfect when I took them out of the box. I tried them on and took no more than five steps in them to make sure they fit and all of the sudden the leather around where the shoe creased started changing colors. Is that normal?
shoe1.jpg
shoe2f.jpg
Also the insert said to use Color 8 shoe past wax. Is that right? Seems like brown paste wax would be a better match

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
have you even bothered to look at shell shoes before?

tebow

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
the pictures dont look like shell to me.
Unless theshoemart sent me the wrong shoes those should be ravello shell cordovans
Originally Posted by phoenixrecon
have you even bothered to look at shell shoes before?
Snide responses are oh so helpful

tebow

Reaction score
What about the color of the paste wax? Is brown OK or should I be using Color 8?

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tebow
What about the color of the paste wax? Is brown OK or should I be using Color 8?
The shoes look as ravello shell should. As for polish, the Alden store on Madison in NY recommended medium tan Kiwi wax for ravello.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Why not use a neutral paste or cream first? Then, if you don't like the level of augmentation, you can go up to some other color without consequence.

HEPennypacker

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tebow
I just got my first pair of Alden shell cordovans in the mail. They looked perfect when I took them out of the box. I tried them on and took no more than five steps in them to make sure they fit and all of the sudden the leather around where the shoe creased started changing colors. Is that normal?

Same thing happened to me earlier today while in the Alden store trying on shoes. Didn't seem abnormal.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those creases are textbook shell. Do not worry.

Those aren't #8, Alden just stuck some kind of boilerplate instructions in the box. When my shell creases get objectionably light, I use shoe cream (not wax polish) on the creases to darken them back up. Saphir does a nice medium brown that I believe would be perfect for those shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics