• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this legal?

HelloIDistance

Reaction score
I've never heard of this before...please advise.

Canadian citizen driving in the US with a Canadian driver license. Cop pulls her over for going 5 over on the freeway (literally) and takes her license and tells her she is lucky to not go to jail. WTF? This is even legal? I've never heard of a cop taking a driver license like this. She holds a dual citizenship btw, so she is an American citizen if that counts for anything. He says she can't get her license back until she pays the ticket. I seriously ******* hate most Americans and the superiority they feel towards other countries (btw I am American).

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ask harvey birdman but sounds bullshit to me

huy

Reaction score
this is a common practice in IL

HelloIDistance

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AR_Six
The answer is effectively, no, but what are you going to do about it?

I think the correct thing to do in this instance would be to kill the officer.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HelloIDistance
I think the correct thing to do in this instance would be to kill the officer.

lol8[1].gif

but a bit much. i would though ask for his name and badge number.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HelloIDistance
He says she can't get her license back until she pays the ticket.
Although it was many years ago, this happened to me. The ticket serves as her license until she pays the ticket and gets her actual license back.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I do not understand why "she's lucky she's not in jail" I've used my non-American license there and its no issue at all, and if its going beyond the speed limit by 5 miles, I certainly do not think that warrants any jail time. the officer might have the right to confiscate her license, but he's obviously power tripping and abusing his badge.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uh bond state... I've been pulled over in MT and the very friendly (actually!) trooper told me I could either pay immediately in cash or he'd tow me to the cop shop, where I could then pay him, but I couldn't drive another inch until he was paid. Simply because I was from out of state. Happily the ticket was $40 or something.
lol8[1].gif
The jail comment is fubared though.

dacox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by huy
this is a common practice in IL

I'm from Chicago too, and this is pretty much SOP. Like someone else said, the ticket acts as a license until the fine is paid. The "she is lucky to not go to jail" comment is ridiculous and just some asshole cop trying to assert his authority, but the license confiscation seems normal enough to me.

My experience has always been with American licenses though, so I don't know if her having a Canadian license makes the situation any different (I'd assume it's the same though).

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like she may have had a warrant.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Legal means whatever the guy with the gun and the badge want it to mean.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sazerac
Legal means whatever the guy with the gun and the badge want it to mean.

yeah man! fight the power!
smile.gif

jreigen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
Uh bond state... I've been pulled over in MT and the very friendly (actually!) trooper told me I could either pay immediately in cash or he'd tow me to the cop shop, where I could then pay him, but I couldn't drive another inch until he was paid. Simply because I was from out of state.

Happily the ticket was $40 or something.
lol8[1].gif

The jail comment is fubared though.

This happened to my dad in MT as well, a number of years ago. He thought he was being asked for a bribe. The ticket amount there used to be $5 and story was many folks just carried a stack of $5 bills on their visors.

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bkstone
I didn't even know someone can drive in the US with a Canadian driver license. Is this a special situation for Canadians or does same apply to any foreign driver license?
5086.gif

You can, but up to a certain point in time. If you're staying longer and not a visitor then you'll need an US state license.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics