• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this Leather messenger Ok?

Lipton

Reaction score
Hi
I came across this Alpine Mailbag(what is a mailbag?) and I am eager to get your thoughts. Would it be a good school bag? Can I get a better bag for $170?
d1fa_1.JPG

425_Mailbag_top_view.jpg

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It looks pretty standard and decent. For alternatives I'd recommend checking out Korchmar's page on ebay, where it sells its factory seconds and returns - I've scored some great deals when they put stuff up for auction (instead of the BIN options).

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZkorchmaroutlet

khaki sack

Reaction score
Mailbag is just another name for a man purse.

You would be better off with a classic from Filson:

filsonbriefcasext4.jpg

Lipton

Reaction score
Thank you for answering my query.

As I am located in London I was wondering if there are retailers who sell Filson in London?
Do you know any other shop in London where I could get a decent classic (leather would be favourable) looking man bag for around $200?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lipton
First of all what do you think of the bag? Is it a fake? Can I get a better price?
It's not a fake - that seller has a wholesale account with Filson and can offer them at a discount. It's probably the best price you could get on it.

fox in sox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
It's not a fake - that seller has a wholesale account with Filson and can offer them at a discount. It's probably the best price you could get on it.

+1

Got mine from this same seller NWT. I didn't find a cheaper price anywhere else. Didn't know about his wholesale account, but it makes sense if he can offer the filson bags for great prices.

Lipton

Reaction score
Thank you for your answers.

I have looked at some of the Mulberry bags and kind of concluded that they were out of my price range.

Robin and Fox in Sox: Are you satiesfied with your purchase? Is the bag big enough for a macbook and perhaps two hardback books? Anything negative about the bag?

fox in sox

Reaction score
I definitely like my Filson and have gotten compliments on it. The color is more accurately portrayed in the e-bay picture than the Filson website.

You could probably fit your Macbook in there, but I'd put a protective sleeve on the laptop first. There's minimal padding on the inside of the bag. There's room enough for a laptop and two small to mid-size hardback books.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lipton
Thank you for answering my query. As I am located in London I was wondering if there are retailers who sell Filson in London? Do you know any other shop in London where I could get a decent classic (leather would be favourable) looking man bag for around $200?
There's a shop towards the Savile Row end of Burlington Arcade near the Royal Academy of Art, I forget the name but it's on the left side with Picadilly behind you. I poked around there for a bag for my dad, they had some stuff that was (classic) nice and they do MTO as well. edit: Sorry, just noticed it might be out of your budget. I think the bag you originally showed was pretty good. I wouldn't use it for work, but as a casual bag for school, it's nice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics