• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this Lanvin blazer real?

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I was out thrifting today and found a navy blue Lanvin blazer with pleated patch pockets and flat brass buttons (which have the word "lanvin" engraved onto them). I posted photos of the jacket itself as well as one of the label on the lining. There was another patch in the lining with some sort of design that looked like a long row of "S"'s. Behind the neck, there was a tag that said Made in USA.

Is this real Lanvin, or just some fake that some guy sold to a consignment shop for fun? If I didn't provide enough info to tell, is there anything else to look for that would very its real- or fakeness?

Thanks much,
wmmk

lanvin_fit.jpg

lanvin_tag.jpg

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Real...old and/or subcontracted ****.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Most vintage menswear of the 'womens' fashion brands tends to be, as Socal aptly puts it, subcontracted ****. Only in recent years have they bought back their licenses and taken direct control over the design and manufacture of their clothes.

Seeing those labels on vintage menswear is almost a guarantee it's not worth the money, even when only a few dollars.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, thanks for the replies. SoCal, I'm assuming that you're not just using **** as a synonym for 'stuff', yeah? I'm also assuming that this subcontracting is of a different nature than RLPL subcontracting to St. Andrews or BB to Peal. Is this correct?

Anyway, would this fetch much at all on B&S? Even if not do its fit & design make it worth buying for myself?

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Only buy it if you want to wear it. It holds no Alber re-sale value.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK then, so I guess I won't worry about being discreet about the price for B&S purposes... worth $40? I mean, could I find a much better blazer for that price?

emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$40 for a blazer? Sounds reasonable no matter the brand. If its in good condition then just get it. You obviously like it if you are willing to go through the hassle of posting it and asking our opinion.

dopamine

Reaction score
I actually had somewhat the same question. I just picked up a Lanvin tweed blazer with the same labels for $6.99 at a thrift store a while back. It was my first time thrifting, so I guess I'll learn. I did get a sweet vintage skinny prep tie out of the deal for $3 that I would've gladly paid $20 for. (It was a Wanamaker branded tie, if anyone's heard of his store - apparently it was one of the first department stores ever.)

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by apropos
So... You want to profit off SF members with a product you know to be absolutely shite.

I don't suppose your B&S thread is going to link this thread, right?

Classy.

Erm, what? I was thinking that if it were quality stuff and tailoring it to fit me perfectly was going to be expensive (I already have a blue blazer and don't need another one), I could sell it to an SF member who would fit into it better without tailoring. If it were ****, then I would price it as such, with a small proxy fee.

When I picked this up, it was premium ****, for all I knew.

erdawe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't fall into this trap if you see Dior either.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads