• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this Kiton tie too "fancy" for a young professional?

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find that tie's general unattractiveness to be much more of a deterent than its fancy-ness.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cantabrigian
I find that tie's general unattractiveness to be much more of a deterent than its fancy-ness.
That too

nmoraitis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
It isn't too fancy for a young professional, but it may very well be too ugly for one.

+1

cacky

Reaction score

Can you let me know what you find unattractive about this tie? I liked it, and thought it could go well with a light blue or white shirt. I'd love to hear your thoughts as I am always looking to learn. Thanks

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cacky
Can you let me know what you find unattractive about this tie? I liked it, and thought it could go well with a light blue or white shirt. I'd love to hear your thoughts as I am always looking to learn. Thanks

It's shiny and gold

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^How about, as i had mentioned, the paisleys look like sperm under a microscope (yes, I've seen this working at a free health clinic as a lab volunteer). The design has to be on par, at least, with little animals or christmas trees on it.

Countertenor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
I think you all need to rub some manure between your legs and grow some balls.
The tie is balls.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Originally Posted by teddieriley
these particular paisleys look like sperm.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cacky
Yellow tie + blue shirt seems like a layup (so you see a lot of guys wearing it when they have to get dressed up) but it's pretty tough to do well - at least from what I've seen.

To work the tie has to be a more saturated / less pale (I'm really bad at talking about colors) yellow. Think more sunshine and less metallic than this tie.

In general, a lot of woven paisleys just don't work for me - probably on the order of 50%.

Don't let my opinion get you down - I'm definitely one of the worse dressed guys on the forum.

If you're already working at a bank, you've probably seen that people wear all sorts of stuff with no discernible impact on their careers. This tie is well within the pale of the acceptable. If, for instance, you have any IIM grads in your group, you should know that just about any wild color combination or tie so ugly it has to be a joke will pass without comment.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
It's shiny and gold

^^How about, as i had mentioned, the paisleys look like sperm under a microscope (yes, I've seen this working at a free health clinic as a lab volunteer). The design has to be on par, at least, with little animals or christmas trees on it.

I'm reminded of some colors & patterns from the CF collection that some were enamored over. To me, it's relatively subjective. If you like the tie and don't have to pay full $ (or even if you do if you love it), get it and wear it. If you post a pic on this forum there'll always be people who don't like it. That being said, I'd go for something a little more subdued....

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Your avatar: - 100000000

Matt: What is QFT? Quite ******* true?

Quoted for truth.

I think the only thing that tie has going for it is the extremely expensive label attached to it.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
I'm reminded of some colors & patterns from the CF collection that some were enamored over. To me, it's relatively subjective. If you like the tie and don't have to pay full $ (or even if you do if you love it), get it and wear it. If you post a pic on this forum there'll always be people who don't like it. That being said, I'd go for something a little more subdued....
Seriously.. you likey? Wear it. You can always find a few people here who will dislike something. Besides, don't bankers work with big gold bars and stuff.

EasyGoing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
I've yet to see any VPs and up wearing Kiton. I don't even think they know what they are. But then again I don't really see anyone wearing pocket squares. Maybe some relationship guys do that.

Gotta agree with gdl. It's like two to one Hermes and knockoffs compared to anything else in my experience.

kryn13

Reaction score
Wear what you like. If you like it, get it and wear it with pride.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads