• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is This Jacket Too Short?

tedjack

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Been lurking for a spell, learning a lot. Subject says it all; Is this jacket too short at the skirt in the front? In case you're interested; The suit is a J Crew Ludlow 3 button in navy, with the J Crew vest. The body appears boxier than normal since I haven't had the vest tailored yet. Lots of fabric pushing out in the waist and underarms.

I am just about 6' on the nose, with my bad posture I probably stand casually at 5' 11". My shoulders are usually a 38 off the rack. I have way more leg than torso, but Longs make me look like an undertaker with stick legs. This jacket covers my butt completely but, as you can see, I have long arms. The sleeves are an easy fix and I'm not concerned. I don't have the money nor time for bespoke at the moment.

Can I get away with this?

Thanks for any input!
Attachment 50891

OttoSkadelig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tedjack
I have way more leg than torso, but Longs make me look like an undertaker with stick legs.

laugh.gif

it looks fine.

Ideefixee

Reaction score
Looks like a really decent fit, actually. I don't have much experience with J.Crew suits, I've heard the Ludlow line is pretty nice (and slim)...

My only nitpick is: it seems your dress-shirt sleeves are a tad long. And that's just a personal preference.

tedjack

Reaction score
Major sigh of relief, thanks! Because I already bought the dang thing and I'm getting married in it next week! Brought it to my tailor today and he said he thought it was a bit short. Granted, he's a 75 year old Italian gentleman, but still, I respect his opinion.

That's actually not my dress shirt. I'll be wearing a Hugo trim fit white shirt with a very short and very wide spread collar. Glen plaid wedding tie from Paul Stuart. Brown Aldrich II oxfords from Johnston & Murphy. I think I've pulled off the look we wanted on a budget. But of course, second guessing myself as the clock ticks. Thanks again!

Ideefixee

Reaction score
Major sigh of relief, thanks! Because I already bought the dang thing and I'm getting married in it next week! Brought it to my tailor today and he said he thought it was a bit short. Granted, he's a 75 year old Italian gentleman, but still, I respect his opinion.

That's actually not my dress shirt. I'll be wearing a Hugo trim fit white shirt with a very short and very wide spread collar. Glen plaid wedding tie from Paul Stuart. Brown Aldrich II oxfords from Johnston & Murphy. I think I've pulled off the look we wanted on a budget. But of course, second guessing myself as the clock ticks. Thanks again!

Sounds like a great wedding outfit. You want to feel good on that day, and you will feel great in Italian wool.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the length isn't the most conservative (older men prefer the jacket end around the thumbnailish area) but it looks perfectly fine for a current suit

tedjack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ideefixee
Sounds like a great wedding outfit. You want to feel good on that day, and you will feel great in Italian wool.

Thanks a bunch. I feel good in this suit. I went through 3 different suits before settling on this one. J Crew has been my casual wear spot for years now, never ever though I'd wear one of their suits. But as a total non-expert, I think the new suiting is really pretty decent. It's super 120's and feels quite good. I went all over and they just seemed to have the look I'm after. Someone with a real eye would obviously see things I don't, quality wise, I'm sure.

tedjack

Reaction score
Would you even bother dropping the sleeves at all? The tailor is making a **** in the shirt cuffs so that I can wear my grandfather's links. Double cuff just doest fit in this sleeve. He did a nice job, and I want to show the links a bit. Also, double cuffs look awful on me. I have the wrists of an 11 year old girl.
tongue.gif

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
the length isn't the most conservative (older men prefer the jacket end around the thumbnailish area) but it looks perfectly fine for a current suit

I am 33 and I prefer a longer jacket, but my opinion is belied by general SF groupthink. Nonetheless, I think it looks fine on you as it falls on the short end of acceptable.

Mazel! Enjoy your big day -- it goes by fast.

tedjack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
In past threads, you would have definitely gotten almost unanimous "too short"

What's changed? Ha, perhaps I've just lucked out with who happened to reply so far. What's your take, too short I presume?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
a tad on the short side, but it's fashionable. I'd say as long as the back vents just about cover your butt you're good.

Ideefixee

Reaction score
What's changed? Ha, perhaps I've just lucked out with who happened to reply so far. What's your take, too short I presume?

Well it's a bit of an optical illusion, really. The way your particular jacket opens at the bottom makes it seem shorter than it really is.

It actually, if you look closely, juuuust about reaches your knuckles, which is the ideal length. I, for one, prefer the jacket a teeny bit above the knuckles. But that's just me.

tedjack

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
a tad on the short side, but it's fashionable. I'd say as long as the back vents just about cover your butt you're good.

Butt is fully covered. It's a center vent, which isn't my first choice but I'm ok with it. But there's definitely ample coverage round back. My issue has always been that I have very long legs and a very short torso. The gangly arms means that if I want to achieve totally proper skirt-to-hand ratio it means that the rise of my pants must be completely obscured. Might be ok for some, but on me it just looks like two legs sticking out of a dress. I always have opted for butt coverage over trying to get the knuckles just right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads