• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this jacket too short (pic)?

soupcxan

Reaction score
Apologies for the bad photo quality. This is a 38R BB Fitzgerald. The shoulders fit great - but is it too short? I have long arms but a relatively short torso (most of my 6' is in my legs). Appreciate your thoughts before I pull the trigger.

kannoos

Reaction score
The length looks fine to me. Pretty much ideal, actually.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks fine to me. I think a picture from behind would help in deciding. Does it cover your rump?

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From the front it does not appear short. If you're into a more traditional and conservative look (based on the brand you chose, one that you may be after), a photo from the rear would help decide. If your butt isn't completely covered then according to those standards, it would be short, but from the front pic, not terribly short.

instep

Reaction score
Looks great lengthwise.

soupcxan

Reaction score
The back is just a hair shorter than the front (jacket measures 30" from collar) however I have no butt, so posterior coverage isn't a problem. My dad (slightly more old school) was shopping with me and thought the jacket could be an inch longer to come down to my second knuckles instead of my first knuckles. I'm shooting for a conservative look - don't want to get a suit that is out of style once the short jacket fad passes. The BB SA applied the "jacket should fall at the midpoint of your height" and this jacket was 2" above that point. However I don't believe that rule is ironclad.

I would certainly like this suit to fit, as it's $525 versus $1500 if I went MTM in the same fabric. $1000 seems like a lot to pay for an extra inch.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A picnh but I think you can get away with it. I would lenghten the sleeves at least, the body you can't do anything about but the sleeves you can.

M. Bardamu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it as is...I am having the same debate with one or two recent purchases.

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks fine in the length. That suit will not go out of fashion. Lengthen the sleeves a bit.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Looks fine, side note, I would have more waist suppression, but that's just me... maybe there is a reason why I never bought any BB.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by soupcxan
My dad (slightly more old school) was shopping with me and thought the jacket could be an inch longer to come down to my second knuckles instead of my first knuckles..

This is only a rough approximation, some people have longer or shorter arms so you can't always use this, I think the length looks about right as it is. I'm very short but my arms are less short, so my jacket length barely goes past my wrist. If I had my jackets coming down to my knuckles they would look ridiculously long...

JN41

Reaction score
Does not look too short...
Looks good

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Definitely not too short. In fact, overall, it looks pretty decent from this angle.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics