• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this jacket too dated?

freedavebrown

Reaction score
Hi,
I found this sport coat in my dad's closet.
Is it too dated?
It fits me well.
The pockets seem a bit odd.

I tried to capture the fabric as best i could in one of the pics. It is Armani and 100% wool.

Thanks

Nautilus

Reaction score
You say it fits you well. Does it really? A picture with you wearing it would be helpful. Does it fit well all over, or just in the chest/shoulders?

Matt S

Reaction score
The pockets are fine, it's a classic jetted pocket, though these days flapped pockets are most common now. The things that date it the most are the low button stance and low gorge (lapel notch). It's classic 1987. The low button stance doesn't usually look so bad but the low gorge does. I would assume this jacket has no vents, which also dates it, though some prefer the vent-less look.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
I would assume this jacket has no vents, which also dates it, though some prefer the vent-less look.

Dates it to what? Any time during the past century?

Expressions Realia

Reaction score
I think it's just fine. Dated would include so much of the clothing that's being worn nowadays, heh. Although my particular taste would call for wearing the jacket and pants separate with other color/texture pairings rather than as a full suit. The color isn't exactly my cup of tea either. Maybe get it tailored to fit and then re-examine possible options?

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think if you were otherwise well dressed on a regular basis and then mixed and matched with vintage pieces and were a stylish dude, then ok, but if this is like your one of 2-3 sportscoats and it's a mediocre fit and the rest of your gear isn't top notch, then it'll just look like exactly what it is, an old shabby hand me down. It's not like you paid for it, i say pass it on to goodwill and get somthing newer and nicer. unless it's just a damn perfect fit, you're poor, or you have some real style.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I agree with the others who've mentioned the low gorge. I've got an Armani jacket that I like a lot, except for its similarly low gorge, and I can't bring myself to wear it. It just looks too dated.

On the other hand, the vast majority of the people you'll encounter would never notice the low gorge even if they stared at your jacket for an hour.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by L'Incandescent
On the other hand, the vast majority of the people you'll encounter would never notice the low gorge even if they stared at your jacket for an hour.

Right...but it still won't look right, even to them....they just won't know why.

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Master-Classter
I think if you were otherwise well dressed on a regular basis and then mixed and matched with vintage pieces and were a stylish dude, then ok, but if this is like your one of 2-3 sportscoats and it's a mediocre fit and the rest of your gear isn't top notch, then it'll just look like exactly what it is, an old shabby hand me down. It's not like you paid for it, i say pass it on to goodwill and get somthing newer and nicer. unless it's just a damn perfect fit, you're poor, or you have some real style.

+1. Context is everything.

Nautilus

Reaction score
Low gorges are not "wrong" per se, but they are more common on older jackets. Isn't it better to wear a low gorge if you are tall and a high gorge if short? BTW, I can't tell how low or high it is based on looking at a picture of it lying flat--you guys are good.

What really makes a jacket look dated IMO is the button stance. Low button stance looks out of place today. Again, I can't tell without seeing it on, but I'll trust what the more experienced members have to say.

L'Incandescent

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pocketsquareguy
Right...but it still won't look right, even to them....they just won't know why.

When I was still wearing the low-gorge Armani, I got more compliments on it than on any other jacket--by far. That said, I agree with your point that people might recognize the look as "off" even if they can't articulate why. In my case, people may have been focusing on the jacket's check pattern, which is much more salient for the average non-clothing enthusiast than the placement of the gorge.

I actually think Master-Classter's advice is exactly right.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like a nice sports jacket. I'd use it if it fits well.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gorgekko
Dates it to what? Any time during the past century?

If it was a suit that would be fine. But sports coats should have vents. And if not a vent then a pleated back. Before the time when vents became commonplace (1950s), sports coats were used mostly in the country, for country sports. Those sports involved a lot of equestrian activity, thus the sports coats had vents. Many sports coats in the 80s didn't have vents because it was fashionable not to. That completely ignores the history and purpose of the sports coat. Does this make sense or am I just digging myself into a hole?

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The low gorge screams late 80's to me.
miami-vice.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads