• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this jacket (and sleeves) the proper length ? (3 pics)

NowPlayingTheGame

Reaction score
Jacket length and sleeves?
Thanks for the guidance...

The 2 wrist/sleeve shots are with my arm extended straight ahead (parallel to floor)
and with my arm handing straight down...

I think the sleeve is a bit short,
Last night, I had to make sure my shirt sleeve cuffs didn't stick out too far when the coat sleeve got bunched up, at times... (that piano composer look) I even "folded/cuffed" the shirt sleeve under the suit jacket so it wouldn't stick out.

Thoughts ?

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me be the first to say. . .
Put some pants on.

NowPlayingTheGame

Reaction score
I removed my pants so you could see the contrast more easily.. Black on black is hard to notice.

beau nash

Reaction score
The jacket sleeve length is fine. Perhaps your shirt sleeve is just too long.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say your sleeves look fine, maybe a touch short, but nothing dramatic enough to require immediate attention.
Keep in mind its hard to tell since you aren't wearing a dress shirt and I have no idea how tall you are or how much shirt cuff you feel comfortable showing.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NowPlayingTheGame
I removed my pants so you could see the contrast more easily.. Black on black is hard to notice.

I suspect you have more in your closet than just black pants. . .

(Nothing personal, I'm just giving a noob are hard time.)

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
looks ok, but hard to tell without seeing where a shirt would fall (cuffs). Also, the side picture makes it look like the balance may be off...

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your trousers are too short.

NowPlayingTheGame

Reaction score
When my arms are straight down, the length is fine.
Just reaches the hinge of my wrist
Should it land a little below, and actually touch the top side of my hand?

But, as you know, if I am sitting, holding a drink, etc
the sleeve tends to creep up... This is the issue...
At one point, the ENTIRE cuff of my shirt was poking out...
2 full inches ?? That gives the "piano composer / French cuffs" look...
which I hate.. I prefer to have maybe 1/2 inch creeping out...not much more...

But, as someone said, it could be a hair longer....
but this is not enough to really do anything about...
(except keep my arms at my sides)

At $125, the suit was a deal.
It's got pick stitching... if you look VERY carefully.

boatshoe

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR

worship.gif

Aperipan

Reaction score
looks to be 1 inch or 1.5 inches short.

literasyme

Reaction score
Sleeves are perfectly fine. If your cuffs were sticking out, your shirt sleeves are likely too long.

Jacket length seems fine, too -- certainly not 1.5 inches too short. It's very hard to tell, since your boxers don't reveal anything a pair of trousers wouldn't, and don't offer any of the usual visual information (fly, pleats. etc.), but the coat seems to cover your seat. Your arms appear to be fairly short, and if the coat were any longer, it would make them look shorter -- not a desirable effect.

I agree, however, that the side shot makes it look like the balance is off and it's flaring out in the front. Or are there, er, natural causes?

king_pen

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NowPlayingTheGame
When my arms are straight down, the length is fine. Just reaches the hinge of my wrist Should it land a little below, and actually touch the top side of my hand? But, as you know, if I am sitting, holding a drink, etc the sleeve tends to creep up... This is the issue... At one point, the ENTIRE cuff of my shirt was poking out... 2 full inches ?? That gives the "piano composer / French cuffs" look... which I hate.. I prefer to have maybe 1/2 inch creeping out...not much more... But, as someone said, it could be a hair longer.... but this is not enough to really do anything about... (except keep my arms at my sides) At $125, the suit was a deal. It's got pick stitching... if you look VERY carefully.
the sleeves look fine, but the jacket length itself looks a little too long. it's a fact of life that when you move your arm a sleeve will creep up. it happens, deal with it. the body length though should be level with your main knuckles on your hand when relaxed at your side. it looks to be about an inch longer than that. p.s. relax! your hands are so tense! oh and don't button all 3 of the buttons when you actually wear the jacket

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
cant tell a thing about the sleeves. you should be wearing the shirt that will be worn with this suit.
also you are doing all sorts of strange things with your hands. the arms and hands should be hanging relaxed naturally.
can you give us pictures we can use?

ccffm1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GBR

Must be Thom Browne.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads