• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this jacket a sport coat?

la_asie

Reaction score
I understand that there are differences between a suit jacket and a sport coat. This jacket is a Belvest in brownish grey pow with thin blue line. Fabric is woolen with cashmere. The thing that concerns me is the pattern of the jacket. I am not sure if the pattern is actually bold enough to be considered a sport jacket.

Thanks!

20201022_012425.jpg
20201022_012525.jpg

20201022_012446.jpg

Attachments

• 20201022_012458.jpg
    20201022_012458.jpg
    372.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20201022_012519.jpg
    20201022_012519.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 31

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Genuine question, but at what point does a sports jacket become formal enough to be classed as a suit jacket?

I don't think there's a clear and defining line. It's more of a language.

Like language, some things are obvious and some things are a matter of taste.

"Colorless green ideas sleep furiously" is Noam Chomsky's famous line about how you can write a grammatically correct sentence, but the meaning is nonsensical. Everyone agrees the sentence has no meaning.

Likewise, a pinstripe jacket is clearly a suit jacket and wouldn't make sense without the matching trousers. Other things, such as faint glen plaids, are also suit jackets. Worn with odd trousers and the outfit just doesn't look right. It has no meaning.

On the other hand, some things are a matter of taste. Minnis Fresco is a fairly smooth looking tropical wool. Some people here wear it as a suit only. Others wear it as a sport coat. I think a case can be made either way.

I think over time, you just develop an eye for what works and what doesn't, hopefully, while still keeping an open mind about how others might wear something differently. I only wear linen jackets as part of a suit but I've seen them sometimes work as sport coats.

This is usually not a problem with new ready-to-wear, as the designer will have made the choice for you. If you're getting something custom, you can also rely on the tailor's advice. It's only really a problem when shopping second hand. In such instances, if you're unsure, I would pay attention to the buttons. Contrasting buttons can make a jacket look more casual, and if the buttons on that jacket are original, the designer perhaps intended it to be worn casually (with odd trousers). Wrapped leather buttons would obviously be causal. A one button sleeve would be casual. Triple patch pockets increase the chance of the designer intending it to be casual.

But with the jacket above: faint glen plaid with flapped pockets, grey in color, and fairly smooth looking woolen, it's a suit jacket. Or you can just put it on and see how you look -- does it look like it would go with odd trousers without looking like a sport coat? That ends up being the real test, just like how you would read a sentence and "hear" whether it sounds "right."

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s a POW plaid. It looks like a suit jacket.

As for the point where one can make the conversion, I’m not sure their is a defined line.

For me, The texture of the fabric is one factor. Details such as patch pockets and piping around the lapel are others.

i suppose any visible patterns could be a determining factor but some of that is in the eye of the beholder. Certainly pinstripes.

another way to consider the question of pattern is to not ask whether the pattern could be adapted to a sport coat, but could or would you wear a full suit made of that fabric and pattern.

emiratiAL

Reaction score
Thanks for the contributions. I think those distinctions make sense.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't have as much experience with RTW as some people here. But I think you may also be able to tell from the manufacturer's label located inside the in-breast pocket. A suit label will often have something that says "Drop 6" or "Drop 7" to indicate the matching trousers. Here is a drop 7 label.

LL.jpg
www.styleforum.jpg

A sport coat label may not have that designation.

That said, some suit jackets can be worn as sport coats, so I think it's again more useful to just go by your eye and think of it as visual language.

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I've purchased Oxxford and Ermenegildo Zegna jackets which looked like plain suit jackets (solid navy with flap pockets and dark buttons), but were labeled as coats / jackets. ("sport coat" on Oxxford tags, "jacket" on Zegna tags)

So it is very possible that some brands produce and sell sport coats that would otherwise get confused for suit / odd jackets.

As for your Belvest, I'd ear it as a sport coat. And it can easily be modified to look even more like a sport coat, i that's something you wish (swap the buttons with something even more casual, add elbow patches, etc.)

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand that there are differences between a suit jacket and a sport coat. This jacket is a Belvest in brownish grey pow with thin blue line. Fabric is woolen with cashmere. The thing that concerns me is the pattern of the jacket. I am not sure if the pattern is actually bold enough to be considered a sport jacket.

Thanks!

View attachment 1481957 View attachment 1481961
View attachment 1481959
It is a fine line.

One of the plus points of many Prince of Wales suits is that the component parts can also be worn as separates.

It is difficult to tell from the photos. A classic PoW suit jacket with a blue overcheck is fine worn as a separate jacket.
1603366814577.jpeg

TheIronDandy

Reaction score
I've always had the impression that there are dedicated suit jackets (such as black pinstripe, which look downright odd without the matching trousers), "separate jackets"/blazers which could be worn as separates or as part of a suit (things like plain navy jackets with dark buttons, that work well with both matching trousers and worn on it's own*) and sports coats which are usually more casual, with things like larger pockets, heavier fabrics, bolder patterns.

Of course, some suit jackets can be worn as separates and others look downright silly (or "fashion") when worn without the trousers.

* That is, with odd trousers. Don't wear your navy jacket without trousers unless you know for a fact you're in a company that will appreciate it.

la_asie

Reaction score
FWIW, I've purchased Oxxford and Ermenegildo Zegna jackets which looked like plain suit jackets (solid navy with flap pockets and dark buttons), but were labeled as coats / jackets. ("sport coat" on Oxxford tags, "jacket" on Zegna tags)

So it is very possible that some brands produce and sell sport coats that would otherwise get confused for suit / odd jackets.

As for your Belvest, I'd ear it as a sport coat. And it can easily be modified to look even more like a sport coat, i that's something you wish (swap the buttons with something even more casual, add elbow patches, etc.)

What buttons color/material do you think would make this more casual?

Thank you.

Shen

Reaction score
I don't have as much experience with RTW as some people here. But I think you may also be able to tell from the manufacturer's label located inside the in-breast pocket. A suit label will often have something that says "Drop 6" or "Drop 7" to indicate the matching trousers. Here is a drop 7 label.
A sport coat label may not have that designation.

That said, some suit jackets can be worn as sport coats, so I think it's again more useful to just go by your eye and think of it as visual language.
I would say that more than half of all sport coats I ever bought had the "drop" indicated on the label (e.g. Caruso and Stile Latino, whereas Sartorio and Boglioli do not).

yanagi

Reaction score
What buttons color/material do you think would make this more casual?

Thank you.

I agree with others that this is probably a suit jacket, but based on the second photo, the buttons look like they're fawn-ish colored horn? If so, then the jacket is fine (casual enough) as-is.

These days you can wear a loud (by SF standards) gun club check with triple patch pockets etc. and people will ask why you're dressed up, so just wear it and enjoy.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is a fine line.

One of the plus points of many Prince of Wales suits is that the component parts can also be worn as separates.

It is difficult to tell from the photos. A classic PoW suit jacket with a blue overcheck is fine worn as a separate jacket.
View attachment 1482106

And I think in that case it would be some of the details of the jacket that would distinguish it as one or the other.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads