• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this forum too critical?

Rufian

Reaction score
I understand standards are higher since you got people who know more than the average person. I posted three suits and they were all torn to pieces. My last jacket is the same length as my previous one where no one said anything about length being short but now is too short?

If I go back to suit supply and exchange for a 42R without being shortened, they’ll probably say something else the sleeves, the lapels, it flares out or the buttons, the shoulders, etc.

You could bring a $3000 bespoke suit and it’d be critiqued as if it was from Macys.

I suppose that’s the nature of suits and why most guys are wearing suits that don’t fit right, but is almost as if they gotta say something just for the fun of it lol

Last edited:

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
giphy.gif

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't take it to heart.
Like I said in that post with your second suit, >99% of people you meet will tell you that you look great. You look like handsome guy, you don't exactly look ridiculous in that suit (unless you bump into seasoned SF member).
Wear that suit in good health, do not overthink it and keep all this critique in mind when buying the next one.
Happy New Year!

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think I have seen the specific threads you are referring to, but SF has always been pretty demanding - there are no gold stars here for effort. This is place that has had threads for the curated outfit of the day threads, because the general what are you wearing thread is deemed to have too many misfires. Of course, the only people posting in the WAYW thread are those willing to run the gauntlet in the first place.

moltoelegante

Reaction score
Most criticism is intended to be constructive, i.e. to help you fix mistakes and avoid them in future. Would be a pity to miss that, imo.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In short, it depends on what type of thread you are looking at. An appreciation thread will generally be extremely positive, but if you go ASKING for advice, you may receive more than you want to hear.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
If you feel confident that you look good, then you really shouldn’t need validation from online strangers

on the other hand, if you suspect that you’re a little off but can’t pinpoint where, the criticism could provide value

Rufian

Reaction score
If you feel confident that you look good, then you really shouldn’t need validation from online strangers

on the other hand, if you suspect that you’re a little off but can’t pinpoint where, the criticism could provide value

Well, it is easy to tell if something as a polo, shirt or jeans look good on you or not, you don’t need advice on that, but if you don’t have experience with suits, that’s why I posted my photos here.

I wouldn’t post photos of me wearing jeans or a polo shirt as I can tell what looks good on me or not, but I didnt have any experience with suits.

Every person I’ve seen wearing suit in real life is either too big or too snug.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
Well, it is easy to tell if something as a polo, shirt or jeans look good on you or not, you don’t need advice on that, but if you don’t have experience with suits, that’s why I posted my photos here.

I wouldn’t post photos of me wearing jeans or a polo shirt as I can tell what looks good on me or not, but I didnt have any experience with suits.

Every person I’ve seen wearing suit in real life is either too big or too snug.

it’s easy to be super critical about jackets in particular

at the end of the day you either find a brand that has off the rack proportions that happen to be very close to your dimensions or you pay out the nose for bespoke or you settle for a less than perfect fit

imprecision in fit can be fine I think as long as the overall vibe you project is nonchalant

which is hard to convey in a fit pic

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw this thread, found your other thread, and took a look. Sadly, your new suit is terribly unflattering. Listen to those that are explaining how to address the issue in the future.

The examples DWW posted of appropriate length jackets should illustrate everything you need to understand.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
767bf51c6b31770417aa44dbc9174c51--too-short-rapper.jpg

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Posting in both threads because Patrick R and ter1413 did

There are conflicting paradigms in this discussion.

A suit from Suit Supply is a template of the current fashion trend. Their “advise” will answer the question “Does this cut illustrate the current trend when I wear it?” The problem with buying a trendy suit is it likens a suit to a perishable item such as a food product. The suit should have a “best worn by date” same as buying a food product with an expiration date. This look has had a good run but it’s life span at present is similar to buying a new laptop, phone, etc., just before the updated models come out. Point of view on SF is to wear what works with your body type and proportions over trends because it will flatter your physique and not render a superficial aesthetic.

Fit is another issue. The first suit, size 40, was too small in the upper chest; from the breast pocket up. This caused the chest to bow outwards over your chest and the lapels didn’t hug your chest. Don’t think you noticed because your focus was a close fit at the waist with visible waist suppression. It didn’t make sense to you to size up because the waist would need to be reduced even though the lapels lie better over your chest. The problem with the altered 42 is they reduced the waist in a quick way but did not open and reduce the vents which would take away the flaring over your hips. To do that would have required much more time and effort in the tailor shop. You mentioned the sleeve length; the issue I see is the shirt sleeves are too short but the jacket sleeves were shortened to show cuff. Jacket sleeves are too short now and will show different amounts of shirt sleeve when you wear a different shirt. The jacket sleeve length should come to the same point on your wrist on every jacket because that is a fixed point and won’t change. Easier and cheaper to adjust shirt length to the proper jacket sleeve length.

The benefit of proper fit over styling is to maximize comfort so you enjoy wearing a suit as much as any other clothing you own.

The points I mentioned above are what need to be learned so you know what to do on your own when you buy a suit. The advice you are getting is what others know from what they have learned. None of the advice offered here resonates with you because you are asking the wrong questions. Learning precedes knowing.

Last edited:

Rufian

Reaction score
I saw this thread, found your other thread, and took a look. Sadly, your new suit is terribly unflattering. Listen to those that are explaining how to address the issue in the future.

The examples DWW posted of appropriate length jackets should illustrate everything you need to understand.

I got effed up by suit supply lol

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite style of coat for winter? Choose up to 3

• Peacoat

• Great coat

• Trench

• Mac

• Chesterfield

• Duffle coat

• Topcoat

• Shearling

• Balmacaan