• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this evil?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pavlos.jpg
Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece in a satin notch-lapel dinner jacket and a grosgrain bow-tie. I believe Prince Pavlos uses Giovanni Gagliano as tailors.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He is only Prince Pavlos of Greece outside of Greece. In reality, he is pretty much as much Greek royalty as Prince Otto of Bavaria...

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
He is only Prince Pavlos of Greece outside of Greece. In reality, he is pretty much as much Greek royalty as Prince Otto of Bavaria...
The abolition of the monarchy in 1974, I believe. The Wittelsbach Otto was also King of Greece.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The abolition of the monarchy in 1974, I believe.

The Wittelsbach Otto was also King of Greece.

Yes, that is the Otto I mentioned. He was a foreigner imposed by the Big Three - France, Britain and Russia - as the king of the Hellenes during the first years of the new republic - Kapodistrias never managed to make Greece a democracy. What better way to make sure a new nation would be your ally and will work to your advantage
plain.gif
? Most of the "royal family" are at the very least controversial figures in the Greek world and quite often personnae non grata.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Czar Simeon Saxe-Coburg of Bulgaria can become Prime Minister, you never know...
smile.gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It was the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksberg, which was really German. I think the various Scandinavian kingdoms are still under that lineage.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Pavlos.jpg

Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece in a satin notch-lapel dinner jacket and a grosgain bow-tie.

I believe Prince Pavlos uses Giovanni Gagliano as tailors.

The gentleman looks fine to me. But then, notched lapels don't freak me out as they do some, although poorly chosen shirts, ties and shoes do cause me to wince.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
At what point does one just accept that notched lapels on dinner jackets are now accepted? I don't care for them myself, but given their ubiquity, is this not a battle that has been fought and lost?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a severe distaste for monarchies of all kind.
devil.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads