• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is this evil?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece in a satin notch-lapel dinner jacket and a grosgrain bow-tie. I believe Prince Pavlos uses Giovanni Gagliano as tailors.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He is only Prince Pavlos of Greece outside of Greece. In reality, he is pretty much as much Greek royalty as Prince Otto of Bavaria...

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by skalogre
He is only Prince Pavlos of Greece outside of Greece. In reality, he is pretty much as much Greek royalty as Prince Otto of Bavaria...
The abolition of the monarchy in 1974, I believe. The Wittelsbach Otto was also King of Greece.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
The abolition of the monarchy in 1974, I believe.

The Wittelsbach Otto was also King of Greece.

Yes, that is the Otto I mentioned. He was a foreigner imposed by the Big Three - France, Britain and Russia - as the king of the Hellenes during the first years of the new republic - Kapodistrias never managed to make Greece a democracy. What better way to make sure a new nation would be your ally and will work to your advantage
? Most of the "royal family" are at the very least controversial figures in the Greek world and quite often personnae non grata.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If Czar Simeon Saxe-Coburg of Bulgaria can become Prime Minister, you never know...

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It was the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksberg, which was really German. I think the various Scandinavian kingdoms are still under that lineage.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece in a satin notch-lapel dinner jacket and a grosgain bow-tie.

I believe Prince Pavlos uses Giovanni Gagliano as tailors.

The gentleman looks fine to me. But then, notched lapels don't freak me out as they do some, although poorly chosen shirts, ties and shoes do cause me to wince.

GreyFlannelMan

Reaction score
At what point does one just accept that notched lapels on dinner jackets are now accepted? I don't care for them myself, but given their ubiquity, is this not a battle that has been fought and lost?

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a severe distaste for monarchies of all kind.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 52 16.8%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 106 34.3%
  • 8”

Votes: 92 29.8%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 34 11.0%
  • 9”

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.3%