• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is THIS dry rot???? Found deep disc. AE's Should I buy em?

J_Quinn

Reaction score
Hi, at Nordstrom Rack I just found a pair of AE Park Avenues in my size, 8.5D. They appear virtually UN-worn, the leather sole looks brand new! They have them at only $150!!! I asked them for the left shoe so I could try them both on together (plus the right shoe had that annoying alarm dongle on it so I couldn't tie it up all the way) I noticed a somewhat alarming situation in the toe area of the left shoe which. The un worn condition leads me to think these are factory seconds and the aforemention "situation" in the left shoe is oprobably the reason they were sent to the rack. Is this dry rot I see? Where the leather takes on a lighter, rougher appearance close to the tip of the shoe inside? The left shoe is significantly worse and appears to have been treated with some sort of... sealant? Can someone tell me what I'm seeing? And for such a great price, should I but these shoes? Like I said, aside from the inside of the left shoe, they look BRAND new. Here are pics of the inside of each shoe (sorry the pics are upside down): Left shoe:
5647874463_85afb8cbd0_b.jpg
Right Shoe:
5647874387_ce1a26e87a_b.jpg

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, it's not dry rot - it's where they ground/skived down the leather, from what it appears. Why? I don't know.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Whoa, that perspective shot is pretty cool. Reminds me of Fantastic Voyage.

I don't think that's dry rot.

J_Quinn

Reaction score
Hmm, thanks for the observation. I should also point out that in the left shoe, the texture of that ugly area is very rough. Towards the right of the area, you'll notice a big patchy yellow spot, that spot feels VERY worn, like REALLY roughed up, almost shredded I would say.

Also, I currently own a pair of Park Avenue's. I take VERY good care of them, polish/cream once a weak, and I immediately wipe out the excess moisture in the very tip of the inside every time I take them off. The deep inside of this pair bears a resemblance to the pic of the right shoe above, slightly lighter in color. I don't think it could be rot cuz i dry them and use shoe trees.

entrero

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hope there's still some leather left on the roughed up toe area. Because, the yellow area might imply a thermoplastic material that's used to shape the toe. Try them on and see if it's still comfy on your toes.

If you're really looking for a deal, then use this startling evidence and haggle to $100.

J_Quinn

Reaction score
Haha, my brother also told me to haggle it, which I probly will, I just wanted to post here first for input on the situation.

ENTERO: when you say thermoplastic material, are you referring to a layer that's under the leather? If so it's possible that's what it is, but it's only on that one spot, which doesn't bother my toes when I put them on. The remainder seems to be still leather cuz I can see what look like pores?

Basically I don't care that they look like this inside... as long as it's not rot which I've read gets worse and cannot be stopped...

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is very difficult to make sense of your photos. How about one of the whole shoe?

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't the faintest clue what I'm looking at here, and because I can't make out what it is it is making me feel sick.
ffffuuuu.gif

Larson McCord

Reaction score
how were you able to get a microscope into Nordstrom Rack for these photos?

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Have no idea what I'm looking at.

But if you're getting a $325 shoe for less than half price at a high end retailer's outlet store, there's a good chance they're seconds.

Patek14

Reaction score
Originally Posted by J_Quinn
Is this dry rot I see? Where the leather takes on a lighter, rougher appearance close to the tip of the shoe inside? The left shoe is significantly worse and appears to have been treated with some sort of... sealant? Can someone tell me what I'm seeing? And for such a great price, should I but these shoes? Like I said, aside from the inside of the left shoe, they look BRAND new.

I can only answer the first question about the "lighter, rougher appearance close to the tip". All of my AEs look like this.

Not sure about the sealant comment tho

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One uses black glue, the other one white/clear/*****/manjuice colored glue. One has perforated lining while the other doesn't. This indicates the 2 shoes were made at different times and are not really matching, although I'm guessing you can't tell from the outside.

do you even know what dry rot is? its not dry rotting...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics