• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this crease a defect (AE Strands Walnut)? These are new and my others in same last don't have this

Jay687

Reaction score
The inside of the arch on one shoe has a pretty heavy crease. I have fifth avenue and park avenue in same size and no issue.

1620851524310.png

The outside edge in the same spot also has a bit more of a crease than expected. Heck, my other shoe does too but part of my wonders if it's that extra heel leather with brogue. Perhaps the increased rigity leads to the leather next to it creasing more?

Will this go away (or be minimized) with conditioning the shoes? Should I consider exchanging?

Anyone run into this before?

BPL Esq

Reaction score
I'd exchange them if you didn't buy them as seconds or at least request a partial refund to bring them down to the price of seconds.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The inside of the arch on one shoe has a pretty heavy crease. I have fifth avenue and park avenue in same size and no issue.

View attachment 1608832

The outside edge in the same spot also has a bit more of a crease than expected. Heck, my other shoe does too but part of my wonders if it's that extra heel leather with brogue. Perhaps the increased rigity leads to the leather next to it creasing more?

Will this go away (or be minimized) with conditioning the shoes? Should I consider exchanging?

Anyone run into this before?

Have you worn those or are they out of the box.

it looks like the leather has broken over the edge of the heel counter. It’s not a fatal flaw but it could lead to unsightly and excessive creasing.

I would send it back. You shouldn’t have to put up with that.

Jay687

Reaction score
Have you worn those or are they out of the box.

it looks like the leather has broken over the edge of the heel counter. It’s not a fatal flaw but it could lead to unsightly and excessive creasing.

I would send it back. You shouldn’t have to put up with that.

These are brand new.

I wore them around the carpet and that's it. I couldn't have done this walking right? It's weird since my other ones (same last and size) don't have it.

They said it'd be 5 weeks for them to evaluate. That sounds ridiculous. I'm tempted to just buy another pair and return the ones that are defective. Why can't they just exchange after seeing pictures?

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are brand new.

I wore them around the carpet and that's it. I couldn't have done this walking right? It's weird since my other ones (same last and size) don't have it.

They said it'd be 5 weeks for them to evaluate. That sounds ridiculous. I'm tempted to just buy another pair and return the ones that are defective. Why can't they just exchange after seeing pictures?

save yourself the time and return them. Then get another pair.

nmprisons

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do they look like on? If it's not noticeable, then I wouldn't worry about it.

Smooth Operator

Reaction score
I am on the same boat with brand new Vass, both shoe are same last and size just different colour but the creasing on my foot is quite bad on the bordeuax. Took it to my cobbler and he said that the quality and stiffness on the bordeaux is much worse quality (in terms of stiffness, thickness, amount of leather on the same area and leather stretchability) than the black one.

20210518_080055.jpg
20210517_201444.jpg

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am on the same boat with brand new Vass, both shoe are same last and size just different colour but the creasing on my foot is quite bad on the bordeuax. Took it to my cobbler and he said that the quality and stiffness on the bordeaux is much worse quality (in terms of stiffness, thickness, amount of leather on the same area and leather stretchability) than the black one.

View attachment 1611532 View attachment 1611533

With respect to the shoes above, the creasing looks to be more of a function of a mismatch between your foot and the last of the shoe. I’ve read that Vass tends toward very specific lasts though I don’t have any.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads