Is This Cool? American Gangster - Denzel`s Jacket w/Shoulder Patch

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Dragon, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Hard2Fit

Hard2Fit Senior member

touchÃ[​IMG] [​IMG]

(thanks [​IMG] )

2. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

Some definitions might help.

Conspicuous artificiality of manner or appearance; effort to attract notice by pretense, assumption, or any assumed peculiarity.

Behavior that is assumed rather than natural; artificiality.

An affectation is artificial behavior, often adopted in imitation of someone, that is perceived as being unnatural.

Wearing a jacket designed for shooting sports when you're not shooting would seem an affectation. I'd say carrying a cane when you don't need the support of one is another common example.

Pocket squares and loud plaids? I don't see how that is artificial or unnatural.

Uhm, carrying something to blow your nose in that you would never... you know... blow your nose in?

3. JibranK

JibranK Senior member

The jacket looks more than a little bit tweedy.

4. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

Uhm, carrying something to blow your nose in that you would never... you know... blow your nose in?
    A pocketsquare is not a hankie. It is a Square, for your Pocket. It's not an affectation because there are chest pockets on virtually all jackets. W/o a PS, these chest pockets serve no purpose (except to slobs who stuff pens in them or people who wear glasses half the time). The function of the PS is to occupy the pocket; the function of the pocket is to showcase the square. Are ties affected because they serve no utilitarian purpose? A better affectation case could be made for non-surgeons wearing functional sleeve buttons, or, when you get rigth down to it, nonfunctional sleeve buttons in general (though they have become so common now that there is nothing affected about them... that's how it works; it was once an affectation for a non-manual-laborer to be wearing jeans.)

5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think it is a distracting accessory. If you want a tweed jacket with details consider, suede elbow patches, throat latch, belows pockets, that sort of thing

6. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

A pocketsquare is not a hankie. It is a Square, for your Pocket. It's not an affectation because there are chest pockets on virtually all jackets. W/o a PS, these chest pockets serve no purpose (except to slobs who stuff pens in them or people who wear glasses half the time). The function of the PS is to occupy the pocket; the function of the pocket is to showcase the square. Are ties affected because they serve no utilitarian purpose? A better affectation case could be made for non-surgeons wearing functional sleeve buttons, or, when you get rigth down to it, nonfunctional sleeve buttons in general (though they have become so common now that there is nothing affected about them... that's how it works; it was once an affectation for a non-manual-laborer to be wearing jeans.)
    Yup, I carry a plain white handkerchief in my jacket pocket and I'd guess a lot of you do the same. Unless you've left them sewn shut! Affectatious bastards! [​IMG]

7. bobby

bobby Member

Just like elbow patches, I am wondering if a shoulder patch is something I should consider getting for a casual jacket. I think it looks kinda cool. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

On Denzel(and a few others), it looks incredibly cool.
    One man's affectation is another man's essential element.

8. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

Just like elbow patches, I am wondering if a shoulder patch is something I should consider getting for a casual jacket. I think it looks kinda cool. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

He's just missing the 12 ga.side by side slung over his arm to complete the picture. It'd look really silly in the city.

9. Recoil

Recoil Senior member

I think he pulls it off based on the character/setting/time frame/etc.

2 seconds later in the preview he's shooting a gun anyway.

10. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

Functional sleeve buttons, fiddleback waist, brogues, mechanical watches, double vents, belt loops on bespoke trousers,
    W/o a PS, these chest pockets serve no purpose (except to slobs who stuff pens in them or people who wear glasses half the time). The function of the PS is to occupy the pocket; the function of the pocket is to showcase the square. Are ties affected because they serve no utilitarian purpose?
    pocket squares, ties hehe

11. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

What is the actual name of that style of leather patch?

A shooting patch? Falconer patch? Rifle patch?

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

A pocketsquare is not a hankie. It is a Square, for your Pocket. It's not an affectation because there are chest pockets on virtually all jackets. W/o a PS, these chest pockets serve no purpose (except to slobs who stuff pens in them or people who wear glasses half the time). The function of the PS is to occupy the pocket; the function of the pocket is to showcase the square. Are ties affected because they serve no utilitarian purpose?

A better affectation case could be made for non-surgeons wearing functional sleeve buttons, or, when you get rigth down to it, nonfunctional sleeve buttons in general (though they have become so common now that there is nothing affected about them... that's how it works; it was once an affectation for a non-manual-laborer to be wearing jeans.)

A pocket-watch.

13. tweedlesinpink

tweedlesinpink Senior member

What is the actual name of that style of leather patch?

A shooting patch? Falconer patch? Rifle patch?

yeah, i'm actually quite interested in the history behind that particular style of patch on the shoulder. anyone?

14. Clark

Clark Senior member

I don't know the name of the patch, but I it is a feature on british tweed shooting jackets. You can request it today on for example Booksters tweed jackets. The british tweed suit is afterall made for shooting originally.

/C

15. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

I think it is a distracting accessory. If you want a tweed jacket with details consider, suede elbow patches, throat latch, belows pockets, that sort of thing

I didn`t even know it was for shooting, so I kind of thought the shoulder patch would be in the same category as all of the features you listed above.