• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this color combination off somehow or is it just me?

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I felt uncomfortable all day wearing this:

Teal polo (bright)
Light grey hoodie (so only the collar/tail of the polo was visible)
Dark blue jeans
Dark brown Topsiders

It was something about the shoes and the polo, I think.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I like how you threw in some classic preppy items, but for some reason it's not coming together completely when I envision it.

I think the hoodie and polo shirt is a good combo. Instead of dark blue jeans, maybe a well-worn medium blue pair with a little graycast to the denim? And instead of the Topsiders, I would have gone with a pair of white canvas sneakers. Maybe even white Adidas with black/blue/gray/some neutural color stripe.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the main problem is the dark denim and the teal polo. Seems sort of oversaturated.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Edward Appleby
I think the main problem is the dark denim and the teal polo. Seems sort of oversaturated.

But Dusty said that only the collar/tail show through, so I could see the light gray hoodie acting as a nice buffer between the blues.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it's the topsiders too. The bright teal and dark indigo actually go togethe really well, and the light grey hoodie accents the contrasting blues. However, the dark brown leather shoes unbalances the whole thing. There is nothing light colored on the bottom. I would have recommended natural colored Chucks for this modern preppy thing you are going for. Or maybe white Adidas Rod Lavers.

DGP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think I am the only one who doesn't like the hoodie. I think a sort of bluish gray sweater with the polo collar popped (yes, for the preppy look it's a must) would work better. Even better still, ditch the hoodie and the shoes and get a pair of white Chucks or some kind of old-school style running shoe (depending on what kind of opening your jeans have.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I put some white Tigers on after I got home from class. Thanks for the input, I knew I wasn't crazy.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DGP
polo collar popped (yes, for the preppy look it's a must)
I feel compelled to comment here. I have a visceral reaction to popped polo collars--they make me want to cause people physical harm. I know it's irrational, but what can I say? I've known too many entitled preppy douchebags who do this, and at this point the two are so linked in my mind that they're inseparable. In reality I know that popping the collar on your polo doesn't mean that you're automatically an entitled preppy douchebag, but this was sort of a culture shock thing for me when I moved from California to the East Coast, and I can't rid myself of the prejudice (at least not yet). I'm not saying don't do it--none of my business one way or the other--I'm just saying, there might be other irrational people like me around. Just so you know.
smile.gif
Oh yeah, and also, I agree that the shoes were throwing it off. White Tigers sound much better. I also second the natural Chucks mentioned earlier.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, what makes you think there are fewer of them on the East coast? Take a drive up to Westport or Greenwich some time. I saw a girl with a pink polo with her collar popped ad PREPPY screenprinted across the underside of the collar.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Man, what makes you think there are fewer of them on the East coast? Take a drive up to Westport or Greenwich some time. I saw a girl with a pink polo with her collar popped ad PREPPY screenprinted across the underside of the collar.
No, that's what I'm saying--in Cali I almost never saw it (though preppy has come back strong enough that I'll bet I'd see it now). But now that I'm in Philly and working on the University of Pennsylvania campus.... Actually, for some reason it doesn't bother me on women. Though seeing "PREPPY" screenprinted on the underside of the collar would probably make me see red. That, or it would look so ridiculous that I'd just start to laugh. I need to cut down on the caffeine or something, I guess.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, I see. Those people really did ruin popped collars for actual human beings.

I can't wait to get the hell out of this state.

dusty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uhh those screenprint polos are made by Project E and are (I thought) pretty clearly meant to be ironic.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I come not to bury the preppy, but to praise her. I don't think she would have been able to spell irony.

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been wondering about teal myself lately. It's an awesome color but difficult to match. Looks like a complimentary color to teal would be like a maroon, or plum or burgundy, so you could try one of those colors for the hoody instead of the grey. And I think teal looks great with a light grey, makes a nice contrast. you could try it with grey jeans. http://colorblender.com/?preloadblen...00C4C4C43B3B3B Perhaps with cordavan shoes?

stach

Reaction score
Hoodie is athletic and the Topsiders are nautical so they were fighting each other. Only way to make this work is with a zip front hoodie, polo tucked in and a brown belt. More straight laced, in other words. Or the original outfit would work if the Topsiders were navy or grey.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads