• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this blood pressure or neurological issue ..??

symondneil

Reaction score
For the last two weeks I have been having these tremendous pains in back of my head at the base of my neck, mainly the top portion of my neck. The pain only occurs when I get my breathing and blood pumping really hard. For example, the first time it occurred was 2 weeks ago on a 20 rep set of squats. On the way up on my 19th rep it felt like tremendous pressure building up in the back of my neck and I could really feel a pulse-type feeling in that area, like a huge pressure every time my heart would beat.

On the 20th rep I barely made it through because of the pain. I racked the weight and had to go lay down on the flat bench for about 5 minutes because I thought I was going to pass out. The pain was easily an 8 out of 10 and it made me nauseous. I done this same thing again last week doing deficit deadlifts and again, it happened on the last rep, only when I get blood pumping really hard and my breathing is really heavy.

Because it happened two weeks in a row it has me concerned. Anyone on here ever do anything similiar or have an idea what it might be? I'm going to the doctor today so I'm hoping maybe it's just a blood pressure issue.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
8/10 pain;straight to a doctor.

tshaw

Reaction score
You should have seen a Dr. before this and don't do any exercise like that until you do see one.

T

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See a doctor.

Most likely a tension headache from a sternocleidomastoid or trapezius issue, but see a doctor.

The increase in blood pressure hits the nerves in the damaged tissue and causes pain. I'm guessing it's at the top of the cervical spine near the base of the skull.

Oh, and see a doctor.

CDFS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way an 8 out of 10 pain score is quite high.

One pain scale:

Comparative Pain Scale
\t
\tNo pain. Feeling perfectly normal.

Minor

Does not interfere with most activities. Able to adapt to pain psychologically and with medication or devices such as cushions.
\t
Very Mild
\tVery light barely noticable pain, like a mosquito bite or a poison ivy itch. Most of the time you never think about the pain.
Discomforting
\tMinor pain, like lightly pinching the fold of skin between the thumb and first finger with the other hand, using the fingernails. Note that people react differently to this self-test.
Tolerable
\tVery noticable pain, like an accidental cut, a blow to the nose causing a bloody nose, or a doctor giving you an injection. The pain is not so strong that you cannot get used to it. Eventually, most of the time you don't notice the pain. You have adapted to it.

Moderate

Interferes with many activities. Requires lifestyle changes but patient remains independent. Unable to adapt to pain.
\t
Distressing
\tStrong, deep pain, like an average toothache, the initial pain from a bee sting, or minor trauma to part of the body, such as stubbing your toe real hard. So strong you notice the pain all the time and cannot completely adapt. This pain level can be simulated by pinching the fold of skin between the thumb and first finger with the other hand, using the fingernails, and squeezing real hard. Note how the similated pain is initially piercing but becomes dull after that.
Very
Distressing
\tStrong, deep, piercing pain, such as a sprained ankle when you stand on it wrong, or mild back pain. Not only do you notice the pain all the time, you are now so preoccupied with managing it that you normal lifestyle is curtailed. Temporary personality disorders are frequent.
Intense
\tStrong, deep, piercing pain so strong it seems to partially dominate your senses, causing you to think somewhat unclearly. At this point you begin to have trouble holding a job or maintaining normal social relationships. Comparable to a bad non-migriane headache combined with several bee stings, or a bad back pain.

Severe

Unable to engage in normal activities. Patient is disabled and unable to function independently.
\t
Very
Intense
\t

Same as 6 except the pain completely dominates your senses, causing you to think unclearly about half the time. At this point you are effectively disabled and frequently cannot live alone. Comparable to an average migraine headache.
Utterly
Horrible
\tPain so intense you can no longer think clearly at all, and have often undergone severe personality change if the pain has been present for a long time. Suicide is frequently contemplated and sometimes tried. Comparable to childbirth or a real bad migraine headache.

Excruciating
Unbearable
\tPain so intense you cannot tolerate it and demand pain killers or surgery, no matter what the side effects or risk. If this doesn't work, suicide is frequent since there is no more joy in life whatsoever. Comparable to throat cancer.
Unimaginable
Unspeakable
\tPain so intense you will go unconscious shortly. Most people have never experienced this level of pain. Those who have suffered a severe accident, such as a crushed hand, and lost consciousness as a result of the pain and not blood loss, have experienced level 10.
http://www.tipna.org/info/documents/...ePainScale.htm

dunkin

Reaction score
was the barbell on your neck? j/k

but asking medical questions on a fashion forum is always
laugh.gif
to me

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
was just diagnosed with this, no direct trap work for the forseeable future.

Originally Posted by why
See a doctor.

Most likely a tension headache from a sternocleidomastoid or trapezius issue, but see a doctor.

The increase in blood pressure hits the nerves in the damaged tissue and causes pain. I'm guessing it's at the top of the cervical spine near the base of the skull.

Oh, and see a doctor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads