• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this (BBBF) really not business-appropriate?

clemente21

Reaction score

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perfectly SFW. I wear several suits like that at an accountants office, both in shade and cut. Maybe not for actual court, but certainly for office days.

bluesman528

Reaction score
It is certainly wearable at not too formal business occasions. But does it really make you look good or only different from more conventional suit cuts?

mlongano

Reaction score
Sorry, but it seems to me that the suit appears too small, too short, and too fashion forward...it looks like something that might have fit a few years ago while you were still growing.

Granted, I am an old guy, but if I saw someone wear this in a business environment, I would assume the wearer to not know too much about suits.

Last edited:

Pendulum

Reaction score
I just think it's a plain nasty looking suit, SFW but wouldn't advise it. The lapels are ridiculously weedy also.

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been told that BB sizes down for the models, so in your correct size the suit will look better than what's shown in the pic, and SFW.

Stavebomb

Reaction score
I recently bought two suits from Brooks brothers--A Fitzgerald cut, and a Milano cut. I like the way they fit. They provide a nicely tailored, slimmer fitting look.

clemente21

Reaction score

I recently bought two suits from Brooks brothers--A Fitzgerald cut, and a Milano cut. I like the way they fit. They provide a nicely tailored, slimmer fitting look.

I just got the Fitz in Navy as my go-to interview suit. I still feel like it looks a little boxy and rigid - I'm 6'1, 170, and I still think I'm getting swallowed up by it.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Both the Fitz and Milano cuts look much better than BF, IMO.

usctrojans31

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on body proportions, some Brooks Brothers is enormous regardless of slimness. I have tried on every cut in BB and they still swallow me whole, even when going down a size. I'm 6'4" 175 and averagely slim build with a smaller frame. I've gone down to a 38 R in the store knowing that the length would be far too short just to see the body proportions, and they were STILL big.

I think Brooks works best for average cut people with average sized shoulders and proportions. If you're small or large framed, you're out of luck.

That suit is fine for a lateral day, but I think it is pretty ugly. The high button stance, coupled with the short jacket, makes it look like a rhombus. Unless you're Asian, on whom BBBF typically looks really good based on typical cut and dimensions, I'd say bag the suit.

clemente21

Reaction score

Depending on body proportions, some Brooks Brothers is enormous regardless of slimness. I have tried on every cut in BB and they still swallow me whole, even when going down a size. I'm 6'4" 175 and averagely slim build with a smaller frame. I've gone down to a 38 R in the store knowing that the length would be far too short just to see the body proportions, and they were STILL big.

I think Brooks works best for average cut people with average sized shoulders and proportions. If you're small or large framed, you're out of luck.

That suit is fine for a lateral day, but I think it is pretty ugly. The high button stance, coupled with the short jacket, makes it look like a rhombus. Unless you're Asian, on whom BBBF typically looks really good based on typical cut and dimensions, I'd say bag the suit.

This looks pretty similar, and I don't think it ends up looking like a rhombus (the fit model on the BB isn't doing the suit any favors though)

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can have a suit made for a lower price that will fit you better and have the same styling cues.

The BBBF suits are still cut shorter than a "regular" suit, especially any other BB suit. They are short even by Neapolitan standards. The model shown is representative.

Finally, this suit will be noticeably fashionable, if not positively Oliver Twist. Unless your boss - and his boss too - wears a similar cut, you should not wear it to work.

cvac

Reaction score
It's not the lapels that bother me so much about that suit (though they are too thin), it's the length and button stance. I'd look into something else. The legal industry is quite conservative (I'm speaking from experience here) and that suit is not a good idea for what you need, period. That suit *might* be okay for some kind of design related job but is a plain bad idea for any sort of conservative business environment.

crider8883

Reaction score
If you're worried about a suit being "too big" you need to become friends with a good tailor. I can't think of anything RTW that I don't have to bring to a tailor; just no way around taking it to a tailor if great fit is something you want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads