1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is this Aquascutum trench coat fake?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by xian, Aug 17, 2008.

1. xian

xian Member

Hi,

I found a suspicious-looking Aquascutum coat on eBay, and I'm wondering whether any of you could tell me if it's fake or not (I'm not very good at that).

What makes me suspicious is this:

[​IMG]

Firstly, the tag, which doesn't look like Aquascutum's tags usually do "” usually it says "By appointment to H.M. Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother - Makers of Weatherproof Garments" or something similar (see this image, for example "” and secondly, the lining, which doesn't look like Aquascutum's club check pattern.

What do you think about it?

2. maxnharry

maxnharry Distinguished Member

I think Aquascutum is too much a niche brand to be forging tags for it. Additionally the tag appears to say "1976". Most fake buyers are very style conscious and I wouldn't see them buying a coat from forty years ago. I think it is real and that they didn't have a royal warrant back then. Just my $0.02.

3. xian

xian Member

You have some good points. It does say 1976 on the tag. It seems to be in very good condition for being 32 years old. And according to Wikipedia, Aquascutum got their most recent royal warrant in 1952, so by the time this coat was made, they would already have had all six warrants for 24 years. EDIT: This site says that "Originally used as a lining for coats in the 1970's, the Club Check has gradually been incorporated into the Aquascutum Collections and is now an integral part of Aquascutum's branding." So it might be possible that the club check pattern wasn't used as coat lining on every coat back then, or that the pattern on this coat lining was an early version of what later was to become the club check.

4. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

Aquascutum (and now even Trussardi!) are trying to make a big U.S. push.

What's next, rehashing Iceberg?

5. ziggygirl

ziggygirl New Member

In reference to the "whats next iceburgs"? well, if you want to compare the Aquascutum trench to Iceburgs?
    they both are genuine, I own a AQUASCUTUM, and I'm from NEWFOUNDLAND, the AQUASCUTUM and the ICEBURGS are both Genuine,
    I watched the iceburgs from our kitchen window while eating lunch, and some are a very beautiful aqua,
    I am very happy that my Aquascutum trench is waterproof,