Is this an Oxxford?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnw86, Nov 1, 2004.

1. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

I purchased a suit on e-bay that has an Oxxford/Bergdorf Goodman tag in the jacket and interior tags in the jacket and pants that look authentic.

However, the jacket is not fully lined, and the pants are not lined at all.

The suit appears to be about 5 years old in style.

Would the lack of lining be found in an Oxxford suit?

2. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

The quarter-lined jacket has been an Oxxford signature for decades. It's perfectly reasonable that the trousers would be unlined, as well, although they certainly will make trousers with a lining if the retailer wants them to.

3. Nick M

Nick M Senior member

Yes, skeleton lining is one of their signatures. Shows off the quality of the internal stitching, while a cheaper suit could use lining to hide shoddy seams.

Edit: Beaten by mere seconds. I'll get you for this, Jcusey...

4. johnw86

johnw86 Senior member

Thanks. The quality of stitching is evident, and the suit is fully canvassed--so I knew it was a good suit. I was just thrown off by the lining. It's off to the tailor tomorrow for some alterations. [​IMG]

5. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

[​IMG] It is very possible that the store ordered a line of Oxxfords with full linings. This option is open to MTM customers. In fact, some of the Oxxford salesmen prefer full linings in their own MTM suits because the quarter lining needs more repairs. I have order a sportscoat with a full lining. Also, Oxxford will make pants without a lining as per either the store's order or the customer's order. It is most likely that the suit is legit. Oxxford has been sold at Bergdorf's for many years with the exception of the last one or two. It has returned to the store this season, and its offerings are excellent.