• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this airline hand baggage discrimination?

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been on vacation in the UK recently, and heard stories of the nutjob who tried to blow up a plane on Christmas day, but didn't follow it too closely. I vaguely remember hearing some early reports saying that they may ban carry-ons or carry-ons with wheels.

Before my flight departed yesterday, I called United Airlines to clarify what the rules were and they said I could take 1 carry-on, and there was no restriction regarding wheels. When I got to the airport, the lady at the check-in counter said my carry-on wouldn't be allowed because of the wheels and it being "too big" (it's an average sized carry-on, and I've taken it on numerous airlines before without issue, including my flight on united to the UK 3 weeks ago.)

Instead she said I'd have to carry any carry-on items in a clear plastic bag.I didn't have anything delicate in my carry-on, and only needed my passport, so I happily checked my carry-on and skipped the clear plastic baggy. I didn't mind because I thought this was a new safety precaution that applied to everyone. But when I got to my gate.... I noticed at least 60% of the passengers had carry-ons with wheels that were as big as mine or bigger and not one other person was carrying a plastic baggy. The same thing happened on my connecting flight.

Did the airline single me as a threat by not letting me have a carry-on bag? I didn't want to ask questions at the airport and get into a whole thing, but it really made me wonder what was going on.

Has anyone else had this experience recently?

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You got a moran. **** happens.

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thing to do when this happens is to leave her desk and queue for another. Most of the time they are inconsistent; depends on the person you get. At least with a decent airline you didn't have to pay extra to then check-in your bag. Try that with Easyjet or Ryanair and you can end up paying more to check-in your bag at the airport than what you paid for your ticket.

AThingForCashmere

Reaction score
Single.
Male.
Darkish skin.
Facial hair.
International flight.

Score one point for each. If it adds up to 3 or more, you're far more likely to be hassled.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wheels on luggage
ffffuuuu.gif

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm curious about the recent experiences of others for both U.S. domestic and international flights. I don't fly this month but I have trips coming up soon.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AThingForCashmere
Single. Male. Darkish skin. Facial hair. International flight. Score one point for each. If it adds up to 3 or more, you're far more likely to be hassled.
5 for 5

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just finished unpacking my checked in hand luggage, and surprise surprise, there's a note from the TSA in there saying they decided to search my bags after they I checked it in.
plain.gif

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the airlines can do what ever the **** they want. you don't like it. take an alternative mode of transportation. such is life.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
the airlines can do what ever the **** they want.
They should post that on signs at the airport
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads