• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this a versatile color for a briefcase?

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting this briefcase for my wife as an xmas present but am unsure of the color. Pratesi describes it as "mustard". While the case is beautiful, I'm wondering how well it "goes" with the usual grey/charcoal/navy staples that she wears:

41k3o3PdhwL.jpg

Does anyone have something similar and can comment on how versatile the color is or isn't? I'd certainly hate to see it end up in the closet.

The Louche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that color goes with almost anything. Its kind of llike a camel topcoat - its a bit loud, but it compliments all but the most formal ensembles.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like a nice color -- a bit too light IMO and it may quickly show dirt or scratches. Women are very picky when it comes to color coordination -- ask her first. I don't see a shoulder strap in the photo. Most women like the strap option.

Twotone

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Versatile?

NOT VERY.

Dark brown or black is versatile. Mustard/light yellow/honey/whatever you want to call it is NOT.

southbound35

Reaction score
Originally Posted by razl
While the case is beautiful, I'm wondering how well it "goes" with the usual grey/charcoal/navy staples that she wears:

Your concern is valid.

Pretty? Yes.
Versatile? No.

If you're wanting to buy her "go to" bag, you'd be better off with dark brown or black, depending on her wardrobe. If she already has a nice brown or black bag, this could be a fun "change of pace" bag.

twosnapsandgo

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twotone
It looks like a nice color -- a bit too light IMO and it may quickly show dirt or scratches. Women are very picky when it comes to color coordination -- ask her first. I don't see a shoulder strap in the photo. Most women like the strap option.

Twotone

Agreed. No female wants to carry her bag like a man's suitcase. Shoulder straps. Functionality and comfortableness are important

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It looks like a nice color -- a bit too light IMO and it may quickly show dirt or scratches. Women are very picky when it comes to color coordination -- ask her first.

I wish there was a way to do that without the letting the proverbial cat out of the bag, but I may have to resort to it regardless...

I don't see a shoulder strap in the photo. Most women like the strap option.

Thanks so much for pointing that out, I hadn't even thought of that. That could be a deal breaker.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does it match her shoes?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think a burgundy bag is most versatile, but I have yet to find one that I care for for work.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I think a burgundy bag is most versatile, but I have yet to find one that I care for for work.

...that is unless Big Briss wants to make me one out of chromexcel...

FashionFadz

Reaction score
Great looking case, but a more versatile colour would be a chestnut brown or good old black.

I also agree with the comment about needing a shoulder strap.

cglex

Reaction score
It is a versatile color. However, picking clothes and accessories for women is rarely successful and often suicidal. For women, brief cases are fashion accessories and not tools of the trade.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very versatile, but the briefcase strikes me as quite masculine.

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't find it versatile at all. It's a beautifully styled briefcase IMO, but a darker brown would be much more appropriate. That color just screams, "Look at me."

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I also like burgundy or #8 best. Very versatile.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads