• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this a universal sign of quality?

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
333e3ab.jpg

The little collar tab bent back behind the collar and stitched. Is this a sign of a high quality garment, or not?

rioni

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dono but it sure looks cool

porcelain monkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drducky
my understanding is that implies a hand-made collar, which is typically found on a high-quality garment

I think this is right.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Moo
333e3ab.jpg

The little collar tab bent back behind the collar and stitched. Is this a sign of a high quality garment, or not?

Thats the jacket you wore in WAYWRN with that zip up sweater controversy, right? Nice jacket.

jmacak

Reaction score
my understanding is that implies a hand-made collar, which is typically found on a high-quality garment

Hi

That's my understanding too. I've seen the turned-back cloth only on 'bespoke' items.

Although bespoke does not guarantee high quality.

-j

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I see. Anyone want to chime in to solidify this? I see jackets with this collar that are made by some lesser known brands, and I never know if this can just be a "gimmick" to fake quality, or whether it is truly a quality marker.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by idfnl
Thats the jacket you wore in WAYWRN with that zip up sweater controversy, right? Nice jacket.

Heh, no that not the jacket - this one is just a picture I saw in the B&S forum and it reminded me that I've been thinking about this topic for a while. My jacket (solid grey) does have this feature as well.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's the equivalent of basting stitches; can be a marker of quality, but is not a guarantee- you see them in the Chinese-made Italian-named suits sold at Marshalls too.

I've seen this collar feature on some really crappy Barney's outlet jackets, in addition to some other low-level stuff. They definitely did not have hand-attached collars.

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Though I will say, the stitching there (on a Sartorio) is obviously hand-done, which is a definite sign of quality.

Faded501s

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see. Anyone want to chime in to solidify this? I see jackets with this collar that are made by some lesser known brands, and I never know if this can just be a "gimmick" to fake quality, or whether it is truly a quality marker.

The significance is that the stitching shown is obviously not done by machine which suggests that someone took the time and care to shape and stitch the collar by hand. Any kind of handwork is a sign of quality IMO...unless it is blatantly obvious (or sloppy). The more handwork looks like it was done by a machine the better (more precise) it is, as in this case. At least that's my understanding of it.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The flap is excess fabric in case the collar needs to be altered. An over-tight collar can be loosened by making a new inter- and under-collar and then making the top collar larger. But only if you have that excess top collar fabric to begin with.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
The flap is excess fabric in case the collar needs to be altered. An over-tight collar can be loosened by making a new inter- and under-collar and then making the top collar larger. But only if you have that excess top collar fabric to begin with.

Knowledge is power.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score

Doesn't mean squat. E.g.:

truth012be9.jpg

collar8902jm5.jpg

Machine padded collars...the little doohickey indicates nothing rather than doohickeyness. In the cases above, the machined padded collar is attached by hand. In your first pic, that collar is machine padded and from what I can see, also attached by machine. Nothin' special.

It doesn't mean whether the collar is well done per se, since machines are very advanced these days. But then, one wonders what the purpose of sewing back the flap by hand is if not to give a false impression of hand make.

Oh, the pics I post are Kiton collars from prior epic threads familiar to many.

If you want to see examples of hand padded and handsewn collars, take a look at Foof's Rubinacci and my Steed photos here on Foof's blog:

Foofy Tawk.

- B

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads