• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this a sport coat or an orphaned suit jacket?

Dan35

Reaction score
Hello! I’m relatively uneducated as to the art of style, but I’m trying to learn and build my wardrobe. I’ve learned about the differences between a sport coat, blazer, and suit, but I’m having trouble deciding if this is a sport coat or a suit jacket. I’d like to buy the piece if it’s a sport coat, but I don’t want to look like a dork if it’s an orphaned suit jacket.

I’m thinking it’s a sport coat because of the color and pattern, but there’s a drop number on the tag (do sport coats/ blazers always have drop #s?), there’s 4 buttons on the sleeves, the buttons don’t contrast. These characteristics lead me to believe the jacket is part of a suit.

What do you think? How can you tell? Thank you for the advice!

Attachments

• 20DF1094-21BF-4AB5-82B6-3B3291C34D69.png
    20DF1094-21BF-4AB5-82B6-3B3291C34D69.png
    437 KB · Views: 154

Leiker

Reaction score
Looks like a suit jacket, and the drop # suggests that it is as well.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think the inclusion of a drop # always means it is a suit jacket. Canali and Caruso, for example, include drop numbers on their sportcoats as an indication of how slim they are cut. I can't speak to Brioni though.

To me a glen plaid fabric like this usually looks better as a suit. But you could certainly wear it as an odd jacket. Buttons can always be swapped.

Found this old B&S posting for a Caruso sportcoat with a size label showing drop.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 10.26.35 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 10.26.35 AM.png
    999.6 KB · Views: 367
  • Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 10.26.44 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 10.26.44 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 357
Last edited:

Dan35

Reaction score
Thank you all very much for the feedback. I also saw some other manufacturers including drop numbers on their true sport coats, which led me to some confusion. This Pal Zileri has them, and it seems pretty clear it's a sport coat. The original jacket I posted is also a Pal Zileri. I think I'll forego buying the blue one to avoid any risk looking silly haha. Thanks everyone!
s-l1600.png
s-l1600.jpg

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whether sport coat or orphan, I think you could wear that jacket with contrasting trousers.

Lev Vyacheslavovich

Reaction score
Hello! I’m relatively uneducated as to the art of style, but I’m trying to learn and build my wardrobe. I’ve learned about the differences between a sport coat, blazer, and suit, but I’m having trouble deciding if this is a sport coat or a suit jacket. I’d like to buy the piece if it’s a sport coat, but I don’t want to look like a dork if it’s an orphaned suit jacket.

I’m thinking it’s a sport coat because of the color and pattern, but there’s a drop number on the tag (do sport coats/ blazers always have drop #s?), there’s 4 buttons on the sleeves, the buttons don’t contrast. These characteristics lead me to believe the jacket is part of a suit.

What do you think? How can you tell? Thank you for the advice!
You could wear an orphaned suit jacket, but you need to be aware of certain things: If the jacket from a suit is very smooth twill, with barely any texture or patterning, it will look obviously orphaned. If the jacket has stripes, most likely it will look orphaned too. Look at the texture, is it easy to see? Does it have a pattern that makes it look casual? You could wear a suit jacket if it is casual enough, or if it complements the overall outfit. This is called Spezzato. The jacket you have shown looks casual enough to wear with nice contrasting trousers.

Dan35

Reaction score
Wow- thank you very much for such a thorough explanation. Definitely helped me to understand the woes of orphaned suit jackets. I will keep your advice in mind going forward.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads