• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this a no-no?

zeero3

Reaction score
If when wearing a collar shirt under a wool/cashmere vneck, are barrel-cuff shirts the only acceptable way to go? French cuffs seem a little out of place under a vneck. Does anyone routinely wear a vneck over double cuffs?

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's funny, not out of any sense of duty or adherence to any sartorial commandments but I seem to always steer clear of the FC when donning my v-neck...not sure why either
confused.gif

jtoddaz

Reaction score
I have heard some guys do it, but I don't see how. Never done it myself. You would really have to have alot of sleeve showing.

aragon765

Reaction score
I always thought that FC make a sweater fit really funny - it stretches out the cuff...

I only wear sweaters with barrel cuffs for that reason.

whiteslashasian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple TM Lewin Double Cuffed shirts that I wear underneath a sweater on occasion. What I do is instead of using C.Links like normal, I use a pair of buttons that are linked together with thread and use them on the Cuffs that have been moved on top of each other, resembling more of a barrel cuff. This has worked fine for me with not too much cuff showing either as the smaller opening creating by the "barreling" doesn't allow the sleeve to go too far past the wrist. No one has ever noticed this either.

Could be a no-no but it works for me.
satisfied.gif

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my sweater will crash the french cuffs...

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you wear FC, just don't put in the links and wrap the cuffs to look like a FC, otherwise it would look pretty silly I think, unless you know what you are doing and have the sleeves pushed above the cuffs completely.

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear FC underneath sweaters all the time. I pull the sweater cuff back so half inch of cuff shows. It looks nice IMO.

JR88

Reaction score
Dogma. But in my book this is a bit like wearing polo shirts with dress slacks (which passes for "business casual", whatever that means, in parts of the Midwest).

I say no french cuffs without a suit, or at least none without coat and tie. There is a guy in my building who wears french cuffs without a jacket or tie (or sweater). He loves people to notice that he is wearing french cuffs.

JFKJean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by whiteslashasian
I have a couple TM Lewin Double Cuffed shirts that I wear underneath a sweater on occasion. What I do is instead of using C.Links like normal, I use a pair of buttons that are linked together with thread and use them on the Cuffs that have been moved on top of each other, resembling more of a barrel cuff. This has worked fine for me with not too much cuff showing either as the smaller opening creating by the "barreling" doesn't allow the sleeve to go too far past the wrist. No one has ever noticed this either.

satisfied.gif

That's what I call the "Joe Pesci in Goodfellas" move. I wear FC under my vnecks or cardigans all the time but I'll let the sweater band sit a bit undone to show the cufflink

zeero3

Reaction score

satisfied.gif

I was about to do the same exact thing.

"You made me put your head in a vice for Charlie M?"

AdamInSF

Reaction score
I have a couple TM Lewin Double Cuffed shirts that I wear underneath a sweater on occasion. What I do is instead of using C.Links like normal, I use a pair of buttons that are linked together with thread and use them on the Cuffs that have been moved on top of each other, resembling more of a barrel cuff. This has worked fine for me with not too much cuff showing either as the smaller opening creating by the "barreling" doesn't allow the sleeve to go too far past the wrist. No one has ever noticed this either. Could be a no-no but it works for me.
satisfied.gif

I do the same sometimes, but only because my dress shirt wardrobe is heavily weighted towards FC shirts. In a perfect world, I would much prefer to wear barrel cuffs w/sweaters.

JFKJean

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zeero3
I was about to do the same exact thing.

"You made me put your head in a vice for Charlie M?"

"Frankie, do Charlie a favor....Charlie M......"

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't say it is a fashion no no to wear a frech cuff with a v-neck but it would be akward with sleeves of the sweater getting in the way of the cuffs. It might also be distracting to other as it would draw their eyes to it.

zeero3

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I appreciate all in input.

One love to Joe Pesci fans....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics