• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this a nice sports coat?

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Normally when people post a link to an item on ebay as opposed to just a picture of the item it gets snapped up and the OP gets angry.

That hasn't happened in this case. I think that is the answer to your question.

timr

Reaction score
Well, first of all it's not really your thread, the OP asked legitimate questions in regard to being able to judge quality from something you can't try on/see in person. It went unanswered, but your "contributions" are unhelpful to the OP of this thread.
Second, he's not telling you to go read articles on quantum physics and then choose a style of jacket. He's suggesting that you take a look at styleforum 101 and the articles about style, construction and color combinations. Those are entirely relevant to your "questions." I would even suggest that you take a look at some of the image heavy-threads in order to get an idea of what people actually wear and then you'll be able to see something as clearly being outdated and something being worn currently.
Finally, you're just posting links to an assortment of eBay listings that are different colors, seasons, styles, fabrics and time periods. If you offered some direction as to what you want, where/when you'll use it and what you would like to spend, then maybe you would get an answer that you feel contributes to your "question."

(1) It's a related topic. I don't think two threads asking about sport coats on ebay is necessary. The OP has 5 responses telling him the jacket is bad, so it's not like I am preventing him from getting his answer. And I'm reasonably certain the OP would derive value from any analysis on any jacket on ebay, because ultimately he is trying to learn what he should be looking for in jackets on ebay.

(2) I have read the articles in styleforum101 and I have read the stickies. None of them talk about sport coats, none of them talk about finding stuff on ebay, and none of them are related to this thread. His post amounts to nothing more than piss off newbie. And yes, I have spent a lot of time reading the WAYWT threads as well.

Ivar

Reaction score

Normally when people post a link to an item on ebay as opposed to just a picture of the item it gets snapped up and the OP gets angry.

That hasn't happened in this case. I think that is the answer to your question.

He, he. So true.

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

(1) It's a related topic. I don't think two threads asking about sport coats on ebay is necessary. The OP has 5 responses telling him the jacket is bad, so it's not like I am preventing him from getting his answer. And I'm reasonably certain the OP would derive value from any analysis on any jacket on ebay, because ultimately he is trying to learn what he should be looking for in jackets on ebay. (2) I have read the articles in styleforum101 and I have read the stickies. None of them talk about sport coats, none of them talk about finding stuff on ebay, and none of them are related to this thread. His post amounts to nothing more than piss off newbie. And yes, I have spent a lot of time reading the WAYWT threads as well.
It's not really related. You're asking opinions for your own personal gain, you aren't asking questions that can benefit anyone but yourself. You're simply seeking an opinion on a jacket you're considering. I don't know anyone that would see that as being helpful. There are thousands upon thousands of posts on SF and many of them relate to odd jackets and their construction. Was there something you wanted to know about each of these jackets or do you just want an opinion? If you want to know more about the construction process, do a quick search and take a look at what the tailors have to say in their threads. Want to know about a specific brand? The major brands are mentioned here often and a lot of them have their own threads. Do you want a quick opinion about something? There is the ask a question thread and a should I buy it thread. I don't mind whether you simply want a quick "yes" or "no" or you'd like a detailed description. The point is that you haven't asked anything specific and you don't like someone's response that you should do a bit of research before you post a number of auctions. I won't speculate whether he was just trying to piss off a noob or not as I'm not him. What I can tell you is that there is a large quantity of information available to you and a number of members that are willing to help you out. You would be far better off doing a bit of research on your own first and determine what you're actually after to buy. It's clear you haven't done a huge amount of research if you're showing us 6 different jackets ranging in color and style and size. Three of them are 40R, one a 40L and one a 42R. They range in length from 30.5" - 33.25". The chest measurements range from 20.5" - 25.25". However, 5/6 are from the same seller, so they do have that in common.

timr

Reaction score
Here's the thing. My post gave him 3 jackets with comments that he can at least learn something from. Your contribution has been to start an internet slap fight. If you're so concerned about him getting value out of his thread, why didn't you take that time to tell him something useful?

Last edited:

Ivar

Reaction score
Since I posted in this thread, I guess I shouldn't be one to talk, but broadly speaking, I think the MC forum would benefit from enforcing the same "no special-flower threads" policy that the SW&D guys have.

Whether you are a noob or an old member, you are not a special flower, no matter what your mom told you.

There are a number of pinned threads at the top of the forum for quick questions "Where do I get X, jeans recommendations, etc..." If you have such a questions, please ask them there. I realize that you may not get as many responses as you might if you posted a new thread, but you will also not annoy longtime readers and posters. It is a delicate balancing act, trying to maintain a welcoming atmosphere while keeping the first few pages full of good content rather than of threads with questions that could be answered in a single line, and you can all help me out by showing some consideration for other members. That is what allows this forum to be moderated loosely, and without draconian "laws".

Before posting a new thread, please ask 2 questions:

1) Is my question/issue that can be posted in one of the pinned threads?

2) Is this post likely to stimulate interesting conversation.

For example "Where can I get brand X in Y city?" is not a good conversation starter, and it belongs in the small questions thread.

I am going to start just deleting threads instead of merging them, if I think that the poster ought to have known better.

Fok.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/120807/attention-re-starting-new-threads-you-are-not-a-special-flower

Last edited:

srmd22

Reaction score

OP's link: you can tell by the shoddy construction its not worth even thinking about

Lol, well said. This thread is more entertaining than I was expecting. I did consider that if it were any good it would get snapped up, but it was more a learning question for me, so I wasn't to concerned. Based on the advice, I did pass on this one!

AbeFroeman

Reaction score
In that price range I'd be shopping in the BS&T on this forum or other consignment shop. And whatever you buy needs to be altered by a tailor. Budget $100 for this.

Do you currently own a sport coat or suit? Do those garments fit? Tailor those garments (if you own them) instead of adding to your collection of ill-fitting dress clothes.

connor09

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
It looks like a 1980s type of sports coat. Not good.

srmd22

Reaction score
In that price range I'd be shopping in the BS&T on this forum or other consignment shop. And whatever you buy needs to be altered by a tailor. Budget $100 for this.

Do you currently own a sport coat or suit? Do those garments fit? Tailor those garments (if you own them) instead of adding to your collection of ill-fitting dress clothes.

That may be reasonable advice, but how do you know that 1) my current collection is ill-fitting (you seem to have asked and then answered the question, regardless of the fact), and 2) why is a random consignment shop better then ebay (aside from the virtual vs. brick and morter thing, which is negated by the BS&T alternative)? Also, what is different about tailoring a BS&T item versus the others? Are you saying there are no good deals on ebay? I'm not sure I am following your logic. Are you addressing my post, or just spouting off random aphorisms?

I do see the logic of the other criticisms in the thread though.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2) why is a random consignment shop better then ebay (aside from the virtual vs. brick and morter thing, which is negated by the BS&T alternative)?

You can try the item on in a B&M shop.

Many ebayers do not know how to measure clothing. SF sellers usually do.

sullivan025

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Is it bespoke? The jacket looks dated and worn out be honest.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How the hell do we get to two pages of thread about a crappy jacket on Ebay?

This is one of the reasons I like StyleForvm.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads