Is this a nice sports coat?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by srmd22, Oct 19, 2012.

1. srmd22

srmd22 Member

I am thinking about buying this on ebay, but I am not sure how to judge the quality, as there is no brand. There are a few others similar to this as well, no brand, but look nice in the pics, and inexpensive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250993266564?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

How does one judge this sort of thing? Can any of the experts on this forum tell the quality, or if it is worth the asking price? Or do you just sort of take a risk and see how it goes?

2. jrd617

jrd617 Senior member

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Senior member

Used, clunky construction, huge lapels, faux leather tweed jacket buttons, craptastic generic label, no country of origin, $150. What could go wrong?

4. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Ewww. Horrible jacket, $5 NOT $150 more like. Are those the original buttons?

5. Pawz

Pawz Senior member

This one makes the junk from S&K look good. :)

6. EFV

EFV Senior member Dubiously Honored

I actually think the width of the lapels is fine, but other than that you're 100% right.

7. timr

timr Member

8. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

1. Unmistakably 1970s in its styling. Fabric pattern is too loud. Would avoid.
    2. This one is more classically proportioned. Fabric is inoffensive, but also -- if you ask me -- pretty drab. Would avoid.
    3. Like the first coat, this one is almost certainly from the 1970s. It's much less gaudy, however, and generally looks conservative for the standards of its day. If you can live with its somewhat time-bound styling, this is one to consider.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012

9. TM79

TM79 Senior member

Heh, I sorta like that 3rd coat. Definitely no to the other two.

lol @ the lining of it, though. Dead giveaway as to when it was made.

10. timr

timr Member

11. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

Actually, moving on is exactly what you shouldn't do. You obviously can't tell good garments from bad, so instead of browsing eBay listings, I suggest you get your knowledge up to par. The Styleforum 101 articles are a good place to start, and so are many of the sticky threads.

12. timr

timr Member

Go read random articles is always helpful. Thank you for your wonderful contribution.

13. HansderHund

HansderHund Senior member

Well, first of all it's not really your thread, the OP asked legitimate questions in regard to being able to judge quality from something you can't try on/see in person. It went unanswered, but your "contributions" are unhelpful to the OP of this thread.

Second, he's not telling you to go read articles on quantum physics and then choose a style of jacket. He's suggesting that you take a look at styleforum 101 and the articles about style, construction and color combinations. Those are entirely relevant to your "questions." I would even suggest that you take a look at some of the image heavy-threads in order to get an idea of what people actually wear and then you'll be able to see something as clearly being outdated and something being worn currently.

Finally, you're just posting links to an assortment of eBay listings that are different colors, seasons, styles, fabrics and time periods. If you offered some direction as to what you want, where/when you'll use it and what you would like to spend, then maybe you would get an answer that you feel contributes to your "question."

14. GBR

GBR Senior member

Dreadful looking rag. Keep your money

15. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

OP's link: you can tell by the shoddy construction its not worth even thinking about