1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Is this a longer tie or just a tie with a different knot ?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by christianch, May 25, 2014.

1. christianch

christianch Well-Known Member

2. comrade

comrade Senior member

With a name like " Fabio" and all the Pitti appurtenances that this
    goombah is wearing, one would think that he could get the tie dimple
    right. To answer your question, it looks like a reular four-in hand knot.

3. christianch

christianch Well-Known Member

4. comrade

comrade Senior member

So another example of Sprezz. Like the Italian cars that were
    imported without success to the US in my youth. Do you know
    what FIAT stands for?

FiIX IT AGAIN TONY !

Maybe if the sainted Gianni Agnelli paid less attention to his look
    and more to his cars, we would be all better off.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  5. jedwards

jedwards Senior member

Fabio is a common name in Italy, much like Paul or John in English speaking countries, so I'm not sure what that reference is meant to imply about someone just from their name?

I read that guy's blog and if I have understood his aesthetic correctly, the tie here is probably meant to symbolise "sprezzatura" (something along the lines of being stylish and wearing good stuff, but conveying an air of non-chalance "i don't spend an awful lot of time on my outfits so sometimes I make mistakes with tie-knots).

Sprrzzatura has become a little bit forced since all of these tumblr blogs with everyone trying to out-Sprezzatura each other, but in my eyes its also a welcome reaction to the Mad Men style a lot of guys go for, where everything is super-starched, ironed and with perfect knot and tie clip for tie.

P.S. its a Four In Hand.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  6. Its WJW

Its WJW Member

You are correct in that it is a four in hand, however, it's the double wrap variant of the four in hand. Unlike the tradition double wrap knot, though, he puts the blade of the tie through the second wrap rather than the first.

I'm saying this with blind confidence, but If I am wrong somebody let me know.