• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this a good tie and shirt combination?

lsquare

Reaction score
A black polk-a-dot tie with a white shirt with thin black vertical lines/stripes?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I'd say no.

But I've seen a pretty cool combo with black tie/white large polka dot over a white shirt with small black polka dot. It's a bit GQ/Details-ish but actually looked good.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I'd say no. But I've seen a pretty cool combo with black tie/white large polka dot over a white shirt with small black polka dot. It's a bit GQ/Details-ish but actually looked good.
I think I saw the same picture, actually in GQ or perhaps Menswear, and I also liked it. It was unusual in a very creative way. I think polka dots and stripes can look great together, if the scale of the dots and stripes match. So if the shirt has narrow stripes, I'd go with pin dots on the tie. You've got the right idea of matching the colors to tie the look together. Edit: A picture would help.

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I think I saw the same picture, actually in GQ or perhaps Menswear, and I also liked it. It was unusual in a very creative way. I think polka dots and stripes can look great together, if the scale of the dots and stripes match. So if the shirt has narrow stripes, I'd go with pin dots on the tie. You've got the right idea of matching the colors to tie the look together. Edit: A picture would help.
I don't have a picture right now. The black stripes on the white shirt are very thin and I guess you're saying that the dots on the tie will have to be small and not big?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I think I saw the same picture, actually in GQ or perhaps Menswear, and I also liked it. It was unusual in a very creative way.

I've seen this picture (or a similar combo) as well and agree that it looked good. Those negative pics that Warhol was famous for came to mind with the reversal of the black/white polka pattern.

lsquare

Reaction score
I have some more questions to ask. Which tie do you think will pair up well with this shirt?

http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r...ent=00005f.jpg

Here are the two ties:

1. http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=DSC04786.jpg

2. http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=DSC04790.jpg

I personally think photo #1 should be the better tie to use because the checks on the tie matches the checks on the shirt. The basket weave on the second tie doesn't, but that's my opinion. What do you guys think? I have 3 days to decide which tie to get to match that shirt.

P.S: That's not me in the picture
tongue.gif

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
I have some more questions to ask. Which tie do you think will pair up well with this shirt?

http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r...ent=00005f.jpg

Here are the two ties:

1. http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=DSC04786.jpg

2. http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=DSC04790.jpg

I personally think photo #1 should be the better tie to use because the checks on the tie matches the checks on the shirt. The basket weave on the second tie doesn't, but that's my opinion. What do you guys think? I have 3 days to decide which tie to get to match that shirt.

P.S: That's not me in the picture
tongue.gif

Could the picture of the ties not be taken at a further distance?

I personally think you are getting hung up on a detail that may not really show up at slightly more than arms length distance. How about the comparable drape and feel? Do you have physical access to the ties? I presume the ties are the same color, they look dark (black?) solid in the pictures?

Edit: you know you can paste the IMG files here, instead of the urls to your photobucket account, right?
tongue.gif

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The rules say to match the scale of unlike patterns like stripes vs. dots, but mismatch the scale of two like patterns, e.g. two different checks, to avoid a clash. Also, avoid two small patterns. If your ties are grenadine ties, with texture rather than a colored check, you might be OK, but I'd avoid two small checks, one on the shirt and one on the tie. People seeing them will go blind trying to focus on one or the other.

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Leaveitothexperts
Could the picture of the ties not be taken at a further distance?

I personally think you are getting hung up on a detail that may not really show up at slightly more than arms length distance. How about the comparable drape and feel? Do you have physical access to the ties? I presume the ties are the same color, they look dark (black?) solid in the pictures?

Edit: you know you can paste the IMG files here, instead of the urls to your photobucket account, right?
tongue.gif

The tie is in a solid black colour, but what separate the two ties are the details. I figured it would be pointless to take the pictures far away because no one will see the details and realize the differences.

Which one would you choose though?

Leaveitothexperts

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
The tie is in a solid black colour, but what separate the two ties are the details. I figured it would be pointless to take the pictures far away because no one will see the details and realize the differences.

Which one would you choose though?

Given that the ties are black, I am not sure I would choose either. However, if some big dude forced me in a corner and theghtened to **** me unless I chose one, I would go with the second one.
smile.gif

Not sure what the event is but it likely isn't a black tie one given your shirt color choice. If you want to go with a solid tie, how about a burgundy instead of black?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads