• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

is this a good suit for wedding?

hahabowen

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm looking to purchase a suit for my wedding. I've come across this grey suit. Does the suit fit me well? Which part of the suit need to be altered to fit better?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:

dresstokill

Reaction score
Really hard to tell from just one picture. The legs definitely need alteration but I guess you knew that. Not sure about your left shoulder, maybe its just the picture or the pose you are in but something looks off - almost like there is a little divot.

hahabowen

Reaction score
Really hard to tell from just one picture. The legs definitely need alteration but I guess you knew that. Not sure about your left shoulder, maybe its just the picture or the pose you are in but something looks off - almost like there is a little divot
Thanks a lot for the comment.
I'll post a few more pictures.

Last edited:

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few things jump out:

Jacket is too short
button stance is too high
Quarters are too open showing too much crotch
Shoulder divots on both sides
trouser seat does not fit well
If this is YOUR wedding you could (and should) do much better -- ask your wife or her family for help

facet

Reaction score
Mmm I'm not sure if asking the fiancé and her family will be helpful, if past history on the wedding thread is any indication.

OP, I'd recommend taking a read through the official wedding thread then posting any questions you may still have in there.

hahabowen

Reaction score
A few things jump out:

Jacket is too short
If this is YOUR wedding you could (and should) do much better -- ask your wife or her family for help
Thank you!
Actually this is what they recommend out of several suits I tried... I rarely wear a suit and have little knowledge about what makes a good suit.. I'm afraid my families are the same tbh. That's why I post here for some advice.
Considering this is an off the rack suit, how would you rate it out of 10 (after simple alteration like the length of the trouser, etc.)? 1 being very poor fit, 6 being a pass, 10 being excellent fit.

Last edited:

hahabowen

Reaction score
Mmm I'm not sure if asking the fiancé and her family will be helpful, if past history on the wedding thread is any indication.

OP, I'd recommend taking a read through the official wedding thread then posting any questions you may still have in there
thank you, I'll post there to get some more critiques.

dresstokill

Reaction score
A few things jump out:

Jacket is too short

Quote:

I agree with Twotone on the length, the shoulder and the seat. I'd add that the back locks weird as well. These problems cannot be fixed by a taylor.

I hate to break it to you but this is a rather poor fit for you. It can take some time to find a well-fitting off-the-rack suit. Take your time.

hahabowen

Reaction score
I agree with Twotone on the length, the shoulder and the seat. I'd add that the back locks weird as well. These problems cannot be fixed by a taylor.

I hate to break it to you but this is a rather poor fit for you. It can take some time to find a well-fitting off-the-rack suit. Take your time.
Thank you for the input!
Unfortunately time is pressing.. I had only 1 month to prepare everything for my wedding with less than 2 weeks left from now... that's why I went for the big names, thinking it should be better than most average brands as I don't have time for MTM or bespoke for sure.. this one is Giorgio Armani BL but it seems like it's not been cut well or design well? or maybe my body is problem...
baldy[1].gif

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The back is quite messy. Whilst you can shorten the sleeves and the pants for a cleaner look, I'm not sure you can do much with the back.

Alpha11

Reaction score
The amount of work that the suit needs could be pretty substantial from what I can tell. More than what I normally see from OTR suits. I understand you have little time to handle things properly however, remember that those photos will be with you hopefully a life time.

I am from the US so I cannot help you much other than say try and find a better fitting suit. If you had came into my shop I certainly would have NOT put you into that suit. The amount of time you have available is too short to put in the time needed to make that suit work for you. That is even if it will work in the first place. I see about 5 customers a month with the same dilemma as you and I am just as perplexed now as I am then. With such an important day as your wedding why wait until the last minute to start.

Most women are already looking at dresses as soon as you place the engagement ring on their finger. Men should not be that far behind in this regards. If I were in your shoes I would just rent a tuxedo and be done with it. Which seem to be your best bet as you do not wear suits that often.

Last edited:

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:

That suit is a catastrophe. Every person needs a good suit in their wardrobe, why not invest in a suit that will make you look good both for your big day & for years to come.

dresstokill

Reaction score
Thank you for the input!
Unfortunately time is pressing.. I had only 1 month to prepare everything for my wedding with less than 2 weeks left from now... that's why I went for the big names, thinking it should be better than most average brands as I don't have time for MTM or bespoke for sure.. this one is Giorgio Armani BL but it seems like it's not been cut well or design well? or maybe my body is problem...
baldy%5B1%5D.gif

Let's just put it this way: The suit was just not made for you. Doesn't mean either your body or the suit are problematic. Bis names don't really help when it comes to fit.

I agree with the comment that you should have one good suit in your wardrobe - and that should probably be dark blue. Don't you have any bigger menswear store close by where you can try a range of brands and fits? Find something that fits in the shoulders, has proper length and have the rest altered if necessary.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To be honest, I have seen much worse then your choice.

If you are happy and given the chance that you will not wear suit for the rest of your time, I think the suit looks presentable enough for your big day.

Congrats man.

hahabowen

Reaction score
A few things jump out:

Jacket is too short

OP, I'd recommend taking a read through the official wedding thread then posting any questions you may still have in there.

The back is quite messy. Whilst you can shorten the sleeves and the pants for a cleaner look, I'm not sure you can do much with the back.

That suit is a catastrophe. Every person needs a good suit in their wardrobe, why not invest in a suit that will make you look good both for your big day & for years to come.

To be honest, I have seen much worse then your choice.

If you are happy and given the chance that you will not wear suit for the rest of your time, I think the suit looks presentable enough for your big day.

Congrats man.
Thank you so much for the help!
I went to the store and did an exchange on the suit. Now the new one looks like this. Better?
sleeve, trouser length need shorten and the back of the jacket need to be loosen a bit

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads