Is this a fake hermes tie?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnnynorman3, May 26, 2004.

1. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

Fake Hermes? I love the tie, but I suspect it's a fake.

2. kabert

kabert Senior member

I don't see anything to indicate it's a fake. The only questionable items that I noticed are unrelated to the actual tie -- the low opening price (not a big deal) and the lack of "experience" of the seller (only 10 feedbacks listed, albeit all positive).

What has you suspicious?

3. hermes

hermes Senior member

comparing it to the hermes tie i'm wearing today, the tag has all the right elements and the small square with the hermes name on the narrow end of the tie looks correct too - hermes does also put the small box with the design number on the printed silk ties as well so this looks correct as well, although i don't know if the numbers correspond correctly

i cannot speak of the pattern, i've not seen it before but i prefer their woven stripes anyway and not their patterns

seeing the lining would help but it does not look suspicious to me other than the price

4. johnnynorman3

The reason I'm suspicious is because the seller's location is Hong Kong. A friend of mine has received fake goods on Ebay from sellers in China; it seems like lots of Hong Kong sellers have Hermes and Burberry items, with the latter certainly being fake. So, I get concerned about the former as well.

5. hermes

hermes Senior member

well hong kong and china are known for doing fabulous fakes, especially hermes purses

there was an article in the new york times that some hermes people went to commerical city in shanghai i believe and they even had a hard time distinguishing a fake as a fake, they were that good

6. MikeF

MikeF Senior member

I've seen lots of fake Hermes ties, but they're all woven, not printed - that tie looks real to me. Hong Kong is a huge market for luxury goods in addition to fake luxury goods.

7. ernest

ernest Senior member

fake or not fake, it is ugly

8. johnnynorman3

ernest, you are one of the most forward people on this board, and I can't say I agree with your fashion sense in most circumstances. The tie is not ugly -- the color is a wonderful pastel in my opinion, and the pattern is whimsical and unique. This tie is certainly nothing like anything in my collection, but it struck my fancy for its whimsicalness.

9. My View

My View Senior member

From what I can see, it looks real. The tag and everything else look real. And importantly, the design looks typical of 'Hermes'.

But for USD 25.00???...

10. ernest

ernest Senior member

The color is green = nice for hunting or fot army but for business...

With which color of suit can you wear this tie?

Patterns are childish. Unique do not mean nice for me.

11. ernest

ernest Senior member

If this tie have not been an Hermes but a unknown brand @ 10 USD, would you buy it?

12. dah328

dah328 Senior member

I bought a Hermes tie off ebay from a seller in Hong Kong (perhaps even this one under a different name) for a similar low price. Unfortunately, I own no other Hermes ties so I cannot compare them. I will say that it seems awfully thin and flimsy and I much prefer some of my other ties such as Charvet, etc.

dan

13. kalra2411

kalra2411 Senior member

Dah, perhaps your tie was an old one, as the thin ties were in fashion before. Rather like these, some of the oldest ties, which I still own. [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. regularjoe

regularjoe Senior member

No green (for army) No checks (not for work) No stripes combined with circles No patterns on ties (childish) It must be easy wearing the same 5 monochromatic looks every week... My smart aleck remark of the day. Carry on. [​IMG]

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Gotta agree (sigh) with ernest on this one. Real or fake, I'm not a huge fan of the tie. I find the pattern to be rather cheap looking and ill conceived. Usually, I find that Hermes prints have more dimension. This print goes purely horizontally, with only two alternating sets of motifs, and at best, give an impression of a loose diamond shape. If the pattern had a larger palette (are there only shades of green and nothing else?) or if the pattern were denser or more detailed, I might have a different opinion.

Ernest, see, this is how you criticise - by addressing the elements of the piece that you do not like - not by blanket insult.