• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

is this a drink: champagne, gin, red vermouth?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So this summer (probably in an alcholic haze) I poured a highball of cheap champagne, and then dumped in some gin, and a little red vermouth. It was suprisingly tasty on a hot summer day. Later I started making it by the pitcher, and throwing in strawberries. Had several compliments.

Is that a recognized drink? If not, what should I name it?

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds reminiscent of a bastardized Pimm's Cup.

I'll have to try it.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I dub it the crazyquik

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro

I'll have to try it.

?

None of those ingredients are in a Pimm's cup.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

I'll have to try it.

Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
?

Actually it also sounds like my holiday egg nog, except replace the strawberries with eggs, replace the champagne with bourbon, replace the vermouth with heavy cream, change the proportions and add a bunch of extra spices and stuff, and voila. Essentially the same. Except not refreshing in summer.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a variant of The Ohio, which I believe also has rye and...uh, something else. It's googleable, I'm sure.

Champagne, gin, lemon juice is a great classic -- the French 75.

~ H

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
?

Pimm's No. 1 is gin based, and strawberries are a common garnish. Perhaps I should have said vaguely reminiscent.

Pimm's may not always be available, especially outside the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth. Bartenders who wish to make a Pimm's Cup without its main ingredient usually mix one part gin with one part red (sweet) Vermouth and 1/2 part to 1 part of triple sec or Orange Curacao but there is no proof that this is in any way similar to actual Pimms.

lbcgav

Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
So this summer (probably in an alcholic haze) I poured a highball of cheap champagne, and then dumped in some gin, and a little red vermouth. It was suprisingly tasty on a hot summer day. Later I started making it by the pitcher, and throwing in strawberries. Had several compliments.

Is that a recognized drink? If not, what should I name it?

Reminds me a bit of a cross between a spritz and a negroni. The spritz is prosecco, aperol, and a splash of seltzer, served on the rocks with an orange slice. A negroni is gin, campari, and sweet vermouth, usually served up with either a twist of lemon or an orange slice. The spritz is more of a summer drink, quite refreshing, and is quite common in Northern Italy. The Negroni is a classic.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pimm's No. 1 is gin based, and strawberries are a common garnish. Perhaps I should have said vaguely reminiscent.
Strawberries, really? Hmmm, interesting. I only ever had one, it came with cucumber (the gin was Hendrick's, too). ~ H

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, maybe I could call it the EG or the Eric Glennie?

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Strawberries, really? Hmmm, interesting. I only ever had one, it came with cucumber (the gin was Hendrick's, too).

~ H

Cucumber is a great garnish for gin. One of my favorite cocktails is just decent gin and soda water with a slice of cucumber.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Actually it also sounds like my holiday egg nog, except replace the strawberries with eggs, replace the champagne with bourbon, replace the vermouth with heavy cream, change the proportions and add a bunch of extra spices and stuff, and voila. Essentially the same. Except not refreshing in summer.
Speak for yourself. Nothing says summer to me like a 40C day, just mowed the lawn, kickin back with a tall warm glass of Egg Nog.

The Wayfarer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Champagne, gin, lemon juice is a great classic -- the French 75.

~ H

Haven't had one of those in a minute. I do enjoy.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I had a Last Word last night and forgot to specify the gin. I do believe this was the first time I've ever had Seagram's gin mixed with chartreuse and Maraschino liquor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics