• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

  • Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

    We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

    The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

    Fok and the Styleforum Team.

  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

    Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

    Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

is this a drink: champagne, gin, red vermouth?

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 8, 2007
Messages
9,081
Reaction score
42
So this summer (probably in an alcholic haze) I poured a highball of cheap champagne, and then dumped in some gin, and a little red vermouth. It was suprisingly tasty on a hot summer day. Later I started making it by the pitcher, and throwing in strawberries. Had several compliments.

Is that a recognized drink? If not, what should I name it?
 

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2008
Messages
2,213
Reaction score
5
Sounds reminiscent of a bastardized Pimm's Cup.

I'll have to try it.
 

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
29,128
Reaction score
1,318
I dub it the crazyquik
 

Sprezzatura2010

Senior Member
Joined
Aug 15, 2008
Messages
765
Reaction score
2
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
Sounds reminiscent of a bastardized Pimm's Cup.

I'll have to try it.


?

None of those ingredients are in a Pimm's cup.
 

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
29,128
Reaction score
1,318
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
Sounds reminiscent of a bastardized Pimm's Cup.

I'll have to try it.


Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
?

None of those ingredients are in a Pimm's cup.


Actually it also sounds like my holiday egg nog, except replace the strawberries with eggs, replace the champagne with bourbon, replace the vermouth with heavy cream, change the proportions and add a bunch of extra spices and stuff, and voila. Essentially the same. Except not refreshing in summer.
 

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
7,792
Reaction score
561
Sounds like a variant of The Ohio, which I believe also has rye and...uh, something else. It's googleable, I'm sure.

Champagne, gin, lemon juice is a great classic -- the French 75.

~ H
 

RyJ Maduro

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jan 10, 2008
Messages
2,213
Reaction score
5
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
?

None of those ingredients are in a Pimm's cup.


Pimm's No. 1 is gin based, and strawberries are a common garnish. Perhaps I should have said vaguely reminiscent.

Pimm's may not always be available, especially outside the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth. Bartenders who wish to make a Pimm's Cup without its main ingredient usually mix one part gin with one part red (sweet) Vermouth and 1/2 part to 1 part of triple sec or Orange Curacao but there is no proof that this is in any way similar to actual Pimms.
 

lbcgav

Senior Member
Joined
May 25, 2007
Messages
440
Reaction score
18
Originally Posted by crazyquik
So this summer (probably in an alcholic haze) I poured a highball of cheap champagne, and then dumped in some gin, and a little red vermouth. It was suprisingly tasty on a hot summer day. Later I started making it by the pitcher, and throwing in strawberries. Had several compliments.

Is that a recognized drink? If not, what should I name it?


Reminds me a bit of a cross between a spritz and a negroni. The spritz is prosecco, aperol, and a splash of seltzer, served on the rocks with an orange slice. A negroni is gin, campari, and sweet vermouth, usually served up with either a twist of lemon or an orange slice. The spritz is more of a summer drink, quite refreshing, and is quite common in Northern Italy. The Negroni is a classic.
 

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
7,792
Reaction score
561
Originally Posted by RyJ Maduro
Pimm's No. 1 is gin based, and strawberries are a common garnish. Perhaps I should have said vaguely reminiscent.
Strawberries, really? Hmmm, interesting. I only ever had one, it came with cucumber (the gin was Hendrick's, too). ~ H
 

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 8, 2007
Messages
9,081
Reaction score
42
Hmm, maybe I could call it the EG or the Eric Glennie?
 

Nouveau Pauvre

Distinguished Member
Joined
May 21, 2008
Messages
7,562
Reaction score
303
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Strawberries, really? Hmmm, interesting. I only ever had one, it came with cucumber (the gin was Hendrick's, too).

~ H


Cucumber is a great garnish for gin. One of my favorite cocktails is just decent gin and soda water with a slice of cucumber.
 

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
3,682
Reaction score
6
Originally Posted by Thomas
Actually it also sounds like my holiday egg nog, except replace the strawberries with eggs, replace the champagne with bourbon, replace the vermouth with heavy cream, change the proportions and add a bunch of extra spices and stuff, and voila. Essentially the same. Except not refreshing in summer.
Speak for yourself. Nothing says summer to me like a 40C day, just mowed the lawn, kickin back with a tall warm glass of Egg Nog.
 

The Wayfarer

Senior Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
532
Reaction score
3
Originally Posted by Huntsman
Champagne, gin, lemon juice is a great classic -- the French 75.

~ H


Haven't had one of those in a minute. I do enjoy.
 

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Joined
May 24, 2002
Messages
25,745
Reaction score
251
I had a Last Word last night and forgot to specify the gin. I do believe this was the first time I've ever had Seagram's gin mixed with chartreuse and Maraschino liquor.
 

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

  • 1 - 4

    Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

    Votes: 131 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

    Votes: 245 32.4%
  • 21 - 30

    Votes: 119 15.7%
  • 31 - 40

    Votes: 68 9.0%
  • 41 - 50

    Votes: 47 6.2%
  • 51 - 60

    Votes: 23 3.0%
  • 61 - 70

    Votes: 21 2.8%
  • 71 - 80

    Votes: 16 2.1%
  • 81 - 90

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 91 - 100

    Votes: 7 0.9%
  • 100+

    Votes: 48 6.3%

Related Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
428,696
Messages
9,222,538
Members
193,597
Latest member
Scal
Top