• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

is this a cape?

Antonio Centeno

Reaction score
It looks like an advertisement to me

Seriously though it does look like a cape although not a practical one.

Capes are rarely seen nowadays, but when they were worn their purpose was to provide warmth and unhindered mobility for a man to grab weapons or prepare to without being seen. For this reason they survive in the military wardrobe.

My alma mater, the USMC, allowed us to wear a boat cloak as part of our dress uniform - at least when I was in. I have also spoken with men who wear them as it was passed down from a father or grandfather who had served in certain British regiments.

hermes man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Antonio Centeno

Capes are rarely seen nowadays, but when they were worn their purpose was to provide warmth and unhindered mobility for a man to grab weapons or prepare to without being seen. For this reason they survive in the military wardrobe.

My alma mater, the USMC, allowed us to wear a boat cloak as part of our dress uniform - at least when I was in. I have also spoken with men who wear them as it was passed down from a father or grandfather who had served in certain British regiments.

oh i see.. thanks for the clarification..

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I cannot imagine appropriate circumstances to wear that. It's like a walking advertisement. Absolutely terrible.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, Hermes made a cape. A really gaudy, enormous, and I guarantee hilariously priced cape. FFS, the OP is no different from that olympic figure skater who has a "balenciaga [purse] tree" and says "I'll buy anything with an LV on it." embed doesn't seem to be working...

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Image doesn't work for me and I so do want to see it.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The length suggests that it's more a cloak than a cape, though the pattern suggests that it's actually a rug

cmacey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Antonio Centeno

+1! Semper Fi! Class of 1985.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Its a cape. You wear it while flying around keeping gotham city safe. Also worn while giving dudes dry handskies through a glory hole in a truck stop bathroom. Good lord you are one strange sonofabitch hermes man.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only for evening social with an artistic crowd at venues where the outre is the norm. But then only if you are a sophisticated, witty, and charming gentleman with style to burn -- and also to defend yourself. I believe some nice ones are made in Spain, so, possibly it is popular there. For some fine examples of how to use the case, see Ronald Colman in "If I Were King." Actually, to do this, you should be Ronald Coleman... Here is a website with capes: http://www.sesena.com/ing/catalogo.htm If you are going to get a cape for your sweetheart as well , I suggest you not wear them on the same evening. Unless, of course, you are doing Captain and Mrs. Midnight. If I don't get fired this year, I may get one of these...

Studiofan

Reaction score
I can see the picture, but I am having trouble recognizing what brand it is, it seems to lack any form of logo.

Studiofan

Reaction score
As far as when to wear it, the cape, like a suggie, is appropriate for all occasions and social gatherings.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.