• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there really much of a difference between fused and hand stitched?

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never really worn suits much, and I'm not required to for work, but I'd like to start wearing them because I want to. I really don't know much about suits except the general cuts that I like, just from being on this forum. I know that fused is a cheaper way to make the jacket and I realize that the glue can start bubbling in the dry cleaning process, and hand stitched seem to "move" better with the body.

Is this true? Do you guys notice a big difference? Do they look different? Can you guys spot a jacket that was hand stitched just by sight?

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The easiest thing I notice are the shoulder pads of fused jackets. You can see them from the back after years of wear.

Limniscate

Reaction score
I was at Gassane Tailors in Austin (he's made suits for Bush) picking up my Marco Valentino, and he said most jackets have to be canvassed at the top in the chest area. I was under the impression that most cheaper suits are 100% fused. Could someone please clarify this?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is a big difference between fused and machine stitched (Borelli, Brioni, Kiton etc,) and another big difference between machine stitched and hand stitched.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mixing terms.

Chestpieces can be canvassed or fused. This canvassing involves layers of fabric that can be sewn in by hand or by machine.

One can have a canvassed coat that is mostly or entirely made by machine.

But because canvassing is a more labor intensive process, and perhaps involves more expensive materials, it is found only in higher end suits, which also have many hand stitched details both for show and because the alignment of certain pieces is best done by hand, and also because hand sticking provides a more flexible connection between certain areas of the coat.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
look for a post on canvass fronts by jeffreyd. Its a tell all thread explained in detail and with pictures.

oneade

Reaction score
most people don't even know canvassed or fused suits exist. they're just suits.

very few can tell the difference between canvassed and fused by sight alone.

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Longish story to prove a point:

I (poor government lawyer) had a meeting yesterday with another attorney (high priced partner in BigLaw). I wore a fully canvassed vintage (second hand) gray flannel suit that I have determined was likely bespoke for the first generation owner. I had extensive tailoring done by a master tailor to fit me exquisitely. It is my prized suit and gets regular compliments. (I once got laid in a late model Honda Prelude by a Pakistani girl while wearing it). To get to the point, at one point of the meeting, he jokingly berated my attire as I am a lowly poor government schlub. I had already noted that (a) his tie was at least three inches lower than his belt, (b) his suit was a fused piece of junk, and (c) he wore shabby loafers while I wore highly polished C&J oxfords.

Moral of the story: (1) I noticed his cheap attire (2) he had no clue about anything noted in the above paragraph (especially the part about the Pakistani chick), and (3) he billed $1,000/hour while I made nothing more than I do when I read SF for 8 hours at my desk.

Draw conclusions as you will.

yfyf

Affiliate vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LesterSnodgrass

I (poor government lawyer) had a meeting yesterday with another attorney (high priced partner in BigLaw). I wore a fully canvassed vintage (second hand) gray flannel suit that I have determined was likely bespoke for the first generation owner. I had extensive tailoring done by a master tailor to fit me exquisitely. It is my prized suit and gets regular compliments. (I once got laid in a late model Honda Prelude by a Pakistani girl while wearing it). To get to the point, at one point of the meeting, he jokingly berated my attire as I am a lowly poor government schlub. I had already noted that (a) his tie was at least three inches lower than his belt, (b) his suit was a fused piece of junk, and (c) he wore shabby loafers while I wore highly polished C&J oxfords.

Moral of the story: (1) I noticed his cheap attire (2) he had no clue about anything noted in the above paragraph (especially the part about the Pakistani chick), and (3) he billed $1,000/hour while I made nothing more than I do when I read SF for 8 hours at my desk.

Poorly dressed jerks have no respect for you or your womanizer-wardrobe.

smile.gif

Limniscate

Reaction score
LOL, was he a Skadden partner?

LesterSnodgrass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Limniscate
LOL, was he a Skadden partner?
No, DLA Piper. In his defense he was a pleasure to work with and served his client well. I am sure he thinks the junk his wife picks out is stylish because it is expensive. And my boss, a career prosecutor, wears great Oxxford suits that his wife bought for him at Neiman (where she is a personal shopper). In the end, money can buy stylishness, but seldom does.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Men like your suit because it smells like sex.

RJmanbearpig

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pics? I'm sure some of our members of Indian origin are congenitally disposed to want to screw the Pakistanis.

nostrings

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
The easiest thing I notice are the shoulder pads of fused jackets. You can see them from the back after years of wear.

Can anyone share any other tell-tale signs of fused jackets?

Yesterday, I tried on both a Hickey Freeman and a Burberry model that had this attribute. If I am forced to buy something off the rack, will I have to settle for a fused jacket with prominent shoulder pads?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads