• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there anything good on TV these days?

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right now I only seem to watch sports (NFL, NCAA basketball/football) and the PBS NewsHour. Is there anything decent on TV these days? And, no I don't get any of the 'premium' cable channels.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Survivorman on discovery. I'm not sure what you channels you get, but basic cable sucks.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll check it out.
I'm pretty sure I get Discovery.
I get ESPN, ESPN2, CNN, FOX News, MTV, Sci-Fi, etc.
Don't get HBO, Showtime. . .

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hard2Fit
I'll check it out.
I'm pretty sure I get Discovery.
I get ESPN, ESPN2, CNN, FOX News, MTV, Sci-Fi, etc.
Don't get HBO, Showtime. . .

Most shows aren't putting out new episodes right now so there's not much on anyways. Although new stuff is starting later this month and next month. What kind of shows do you enjoy?

Why not just rent a tv series you haven't seen and watch that. Or find them online.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that may be the problem.
These days I find myself flipping through channels and not stopping anywhere.

FWIW, I caught up with Californication, Terminator: SCC, and The Mentalist online.
Can you suggest any decent recent series I can download?

83glt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About 1.5 years ago we got rid of our cable. Best decision ever. Now, when we go to someone's place who has cable, watching TV becomes unbearably painful. The commercials make me want to shoot myself, certainly not buy anything advertised. And watching CNN or any of the cable news networks is a sad commentary on mankind. How such a potentially-brilliant animal can create such a monstrosity just speaks to how we really haven't evolved much since our cave-dwelling days. So now when at home we watch PBS almost exclusively. When nothing good is on PBS, we turn the TV off. We are almost ready to get rid of the TV all together. Now we listen to records mostly and surf the web. TV sucks. I think we watch less than 5 hours of TV a week.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
To be honest, the answer is "not much"...

30 Rock is still good

The final season of Battlestar Galactica on the Sci-Fi Channel starts Friday, January 16.

Lately it seems that I've just been watching a lot of old films on Turner Classic Movies.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Essentially, live sporting events. It's hard for me to watch anything else. I guess when I am really bored at my parents' house and a re-run of Curb Your Enthusiasm is on, I'll watch that.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mad Men, Californication, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, 30 Rock, Friday Night Lights, Rescue Me, some others. There are good shows on these days, you just have to look for them, and yeah, they may only be on for part of the year. Download them or rent them if you don't get the channels or can't catch them when they're on.

You could also catch up on slightly older classics, i.e. Arrested Development, Freaks and Geeks, the British Office, etc.

X-It

Reaction score
- News

- Live Sporting events

- Docu Series

SystemShock

Reaction score
Dexter
MythBusters
Mad Men
Battlestar Galactica
Conan O'Brien (always
smile.gif
)
Family Guy

That's about it. TV has seemed unusually sucky the past couple of years.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lost will be back this month which I'm excited about (but you really need to be caught up and a diehard fan to get any enjoyment out of it at this point).

Burn notice will also be back (which you can watch most of this season on hulu).

Some other things, none of which I'm too excited about via:
http://television.aol.com/insidetv/2...-midseason-tv/

24, Scrubs on ABC

New Shows: The beast (with patrick swazye), Castle (with nathon fillion), Dollhouse, Harper's Island, Lie to me (with Tim Roth),

breakz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 83glt
About 1.5 years ago we got rid of our cable. Best decision ever. Now, when we go to someone's place who has cable, watching TV becomes unbearably painful. The commercials make me want to shoot myself, certainly not buy anything advertised. And watching CNN or any of the cable news networks is a sad commentary on mankind. How such a potentially-brilliant animal can create such a monstrosity just speaks to how we really haven't evolved much since our cave-dwelling days. So now when at home we watch PBS almost exclusively. When nothing good is on PBS, we turn the TV off. We are almost ready to get rid of the TV all together. Now we listen to records mostly and surf the web. TV sucks. I think we watch less than 5 hours of TV a week.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008...t-having-a-tv/

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The networks and many cable channels are doing their best to encourage reading.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads