• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there any way to get your sister to dump a loser bf?

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
She already lives with the guy and they've been going out for 6 years. She's finishing university soon but she's thinking of going and staying at his family's place for the whole summer. I just want her to end it already since this guy has 0 potential in life. He's just not intelligent and has too many rough edges to ever succeed at anything. She's a smart, pretty girl, so I dunno wtf she's thinking...

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Drop it. It's her life and there is very little you can do about her choice in men outside of shutting her out of your life if you disapprove sufficiently to do so. At any rate, he may not live up to your definition of an ideal boyfriend but unless he is abusive, there is no reason she can't be happy with him despite his faults. That's all that matters in the end.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I see what you're getting at, but who's saying ideal? Tolerable would suit me fine at this point. The guy is 25 and he still smokes weed every day. He's a complete ignoramus. He's not physically abusive, but I have been witness to behavior I didn't approve of. He's apparently rude to my mother when they visit her and I imagine he exhibits the same sort of behavior with my sister when they're alone.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought you too couldn't stand your mother.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My mother is a mess, but I don't go out of my way to be an asshole to her. My sister is always fighting with my mother b/c my mother is always telling her what a loser her boyfriend is. He's the cause of that divide.

Besides, if he's staying at her house and she asks him for help moving a box or whatever , he should do it without fighting with her. To me it's just indicative of how he'll deal with my sister later on, if he doesn't treat her like behind closed doors already.

I know there's no easy answer to this. I was just talking to her though and it pisses me off.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So just tell her honestly that you're concerned about her future because of this relationship and that she should come to you if she ever has a problem or wants to talk so she knows you care and leave it at that. If you lecture her or say he's a loser, she'll ignore it and fight with you too.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
when my sister was 19 she had an asshole boyfriend. my father tried to talk her out of him.

I don't know what happened - but for about 20 years my sister didn't have another boyfriend and ended up marrying a serious looser.

I honestly don'dt know what the **** happened, but something got screwed up somewhere. my take on it, better with the devil you know.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
gqg - not what you want to hear man, but there is nothing you can do about it. The more you object, the more you will instill an 'us-against-the-world' mentality in her...right or wrong, you just end up losing your sister over it.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
He's apparently rude to my mother when they visit her and I imagine he exhibits the same sort of behavior with my sister when they're alone.

I would not stand for this. Still though, people who say there's nothing you can do about your sister being with him are probably right. Just hope they don't have children.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
burn their house down...

That aside, perhaps you should talk to your sister? How old is she? If she is about to finish university but is still with this guy perhaps she is affraid there is nothing better out there for her? She still has plenty of time to hook up with guys from college. I think you should try to sway her towards that if you want to take action. Perhaps even take her out to dinner, just you and her, and talk to her about her life ie what she wants to do/where its going/how she feels about it.

and then buy some Gasoline...

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did they meet in highschool or is she doing more than a four-year degree? (And by more, I just mean chronologically.) If they met in university, then there's an even chance that she'll dump him within a year of graduation. If not, then she still may have grown enough in university that he won't be what she's looking for anymore. Staying at his family's place could cause them a lot of tension: nobody likes inlaws.
smile.gif
Baring that, you should encourage her to get a high-stress job or to live in a city where she will have a better social network than the boyfriend. LabelKing's solution is faster and easier, though.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, there's one dude who can pay him a visit
plain.gif

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep, make him an offer he can't refuse...play dirty. A classic gambit is to offer him a substantial amount of money to go away. If he accepts, good riddance and money well spent. If he refuses, he may have more character than you give him credit for. You, of course, may or may not have an intention of ever paying him anything. A tape of him accepting the offer will probably be sufficient for making your sister break up with him, if you go that far. Yes, I'm a cynic, although this is not entirely seriously meant.
smile.gif
Edit: And I'm taking no legal or moral responsiblity here. I've heard a story of it actually working.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Christofuh
Well, there's one dude who can pay him a visit
plain.gif

Commandatore Data?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads