• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there any place to purchase pure water for the purpose of hand-washing clothing? Otherwise, what

stylemeup

Reaction score
Is there any place to purchase pure water for the purpose of hand-washing clothing?

By pure water, I mean water without any of the stuff that is usually found in water as a result of man putting it there, that will be harmful to clothing, like chlorine, fluoride, industrial pollution, remnants of flushed pills, etc.

I know that bottled water won't work, because that is equivalent to tap water.

Does any solution exist that will allow me to avoid using impure water? Moving to a country with natural deposits of pure water is not an option. Hence, I am requesting a solution that will allow me to purchase pure water in portable form, in small amounts (maybe 25 liters at a time), without me having to travel anywhere to get it.

If that is not possible, do good filter options exist that will remove all the chemicals from water that might be harmful to clothing? If so, what options are there? The problem with this option is that I do not own the property where I live, therefore I am not authorized to make permanent changes to how the pipes/faucets function. I would only be allowed to use a filter system that can be installed and removed without requiring any expense or difficulty.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
- if you live in Toronto you can have pure (distilled?) water delivered to you in those standard 5-gallon water jugs
- you can easily buy an external osmosis filter for your faucet that doesn't require permanent installation
- neither of these things is the least bit necessary.....

stylemeup

Reaction score

- if you live in Toronto you can have pure (distilled?) water delivered to you in those standard 5-gallon water jugs
- you can easily buy an external osmosis filter for your faucet that doesn't require permanent installation
- neither of these things is the least bit necessary.....

Thanks for the insights.

Do those things remove all chlorine, fluoride and every other chemical that has no business touching clothing?

I do not know much about this subject, hence I am not aware of if "distilled" water accomplishes that purpose, or if "external osmosis" accomplishes that purpose. If those processes do that, that's great. Do they?

For the refillable water bottles, where are the best places to get those filled up?

black_umbrella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the insights.
Do those things remove all chlorine, fluoride and every other chemical that has no business touching clothing?
I do not know much about this subject, hence I am not aware of if "distilled" water accomplishes that purpose, or if "external osmosis" accomplishes that purpose. If those processes do that, that's great. Do they?
For the refillable water bottles, where are the best places to get those filled up?

You know, water is a pretty aggressive solvent on pretty much any synthetic polymer. So if you have any clothing that isn't a natural fiber, the water, all by itself, can eventually have pretty detrimental effects. Also, will you use detergent? I would be far less worried about the stuff in normal water compared to the stuff in ALL soaps, regardless of natural level.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious if we have managed to style you up yet. Pics?

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is a whole new level of OCD.

Not to mention all the laundry products are designed to work with tap water.

To the OP you go to the grocery store. They should have the 19litre carboys . If you're serious :embar: buy a few. In the long run it'll be cheaper to just toss the clothes after each wear.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Based on what I read in another recent StyleForvm thread, it might be possible to sand your clothes without even using water.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ah, some classic style me up action right here. It's been a while!

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Based on what I read in another recent StyleForvm thread, it might be possible to sand your clothes without even using water.

OP, this thread is unnecessary

Thanks to a great product I picked up at CVS, I don't have to wash my shirts anymore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads