• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there any (effective) difference between protein shakes?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scrumhalf
I'm the opposite. Being vegetarian, I depend a lot on protein shakes to get my protein intake but the damn shakes never fill me up. I alway end up feeling hungry an hour later.

that is interesting. I thought this was pretty standard, I have never had anything fill me like protien shakes

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
2 things. First, if the third item on the ingredients is "calcium caseinate", does that mean the shake is a casein-based one? Second, globetrotter, what are the most low-carb protein shakes out there?

The knowledge base in here may actually rival that of MC for sheer usefulness.

I do not think I will use a shake as a breakfast substitute unless I'm in a hurry (ie tomorrow morning when I am driving to whis at 530am), in most cases I have enough time to make breakfast.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
2 things. First, if the third item on the ingredients is "calcium caseinate", does that mean the shake is a casein-based one? Second, globetrotter, what are the most low-carb protein shakes out there?

It depends what the first two ingredients are. All that means is that it has casein in it (which, despite what some claim, isn't magic and functions largely the same as other proteins).

Protein supplements with the fewest carbohydrates will be those that are entirely protein. They're usually marked 'isolate'.

I still don't understand the need for a protein supplement, really. Is the rest of your diet so lacking that you actually need supplementary protein for optimal nutrition? That's an honest question.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
My breakfasts are usually egg whites with veggies and some sort of meat if I have any easily preparable, this morning I made an egg white omelet with chicken in it. My lunches are mostly soup and sandwich (I have recently just been eating soup). Dinner varies, but usually some protein and vegetables, no pasta or potatoes or bread. Seems fairly standard to me - I try to eat as much protein as I can manage and eat little sugar and basically no starches whatsoever. I want another good, low-carb source of protein that's easy to make. If I can't manage the time to make one of my meals, I want something to replace it or at least tide me over, because if I am in a rush I am more likely to grab whatever seems quick, and that's where the diet goes off the rails. Inability to make a meal happens either because I am busy at lunch, or I am skiing and obviously can't cook anything on-hill.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Dude, it depends how much you weight. The suggested intake is 1 gram of protein per pound of weight -- do you know how many chicken breasts and cans of tuna that is??? Its quite rediculous and expensive. Especially if you have a full time work/school load. I have no problem with people taking 1 or 2 scoops a day. It shouldnt be the main source of macros but definetly doesnt hurt to have as a supplement

Second, a PWO shake is great at replenishing you and giving a jolt of protein to quickly feed your muscles. After a grueling workout the last thing I want to do is throw a frozen chicken breast on the foreman grill, wait 12 minutes and slam that thing. Ill stick to my chocolate ON whey shake with a scoop of Peanut Butter and frozen berries...ftw.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JD_May
My breakfasts are usually egg whites with veggies and some sort of meat if I have any easily preparable, this morning I made an egg white omelet with chicken in it. My lunches are mostly soup and sandwich (I have recently just been eating soup). Dinner varies, but usually some protein and vegetables, no pasta or potatoes or bread. Seems fairly standard to me - I try to eat as much protein as I can manage and eat little sugar and basically no starches whatsoever. I want another good, low-carb source of protein that's easy to make. If I can't manage the time to make one of my meals, I want something to replace it or at least tide me over, because if I am in a rush I am more likely to grab whatever seems quick, and that's where the diet goes off the rails. Inability to make a meal happens either because I am busy at lunch, or I am skiing and obviously can't cook anything on-hill.
Beef jerky should become your best friend for quick snacks. Tuna packs (whole thread somewhere on here with recipes). Cheese and meat. Cottage cheese and fruit. etc. Dont let the haters get to you, protein is fine. I can guarantee almost all of these will be fine and taste not-that-bad (not good, but bearable) http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html Edit: Im using chocolate mint now --- 120 cals, 3g of carbs, 24 g of protein. Pretty nice ratio, imo.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
^ Dude, it depends how much you weight. The suggested intake is 1 gram of protein per pound of weight -- do you know how many chicken breasts and cans of tuna that is??? Its quite rediculous and expensive. Especially if you have a full time work/school load. I have no problem with people taking 1 or 2 scoops a day. It shouldnt be the main source of macros but definetly doesnt hurt to have as a supplement

Second, a PWO shake is great at replenishing you and giving a jolt of protein to quickly feed your muscles. After a grueling workout the last thing I want to do is throw a frozen chicken breast on the foreman grill, wait 12 minutes and slam that thing. Ill stick to my chocolate ON whey shake with a scoop of Peanut Butter and frozen berries...ftw.

Firstly, protein requirements for endurance athletes generally exceed those of natural amateur weightlifters. That said, many get by with 1g/kg/d. I usually get 1-1.5g/kg/d myself (for what it's worth). Most people piss away money.

Secondly, like I said before, protein digestion and metabolism (and what promotes skeletal muscle growth) is a lot more complicated than a 'jolt of protein to quickly feed your muscles'. It doesn't work like that at all.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find casein a better choice for meal replacement, so I usually do one scoop of whey with another of casein if I'm using it for that role. Straight whey tends to not fill me up at all.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
carbohydrates will be those that are entirely protein. They're usually marked 'isolate'.

I still don't understand the need for a protein supplement, really. Is the rest of your diet so lacking that you actually need supplementary protein for optimal nutrition? That's an honest question.

why, I'll tell you my reasons. they may not be the best, but they are mine, and you asked.

I wanted to shift to a basic concept of more protien, less carbs, less fat. I set a goal of a certain amount of protien a day, and I wanted to try to have some protien at specific times - within an hour of excersizing, a few hours before I went to bed, when I woke up. I am aiming for about 180 grams of protien a day, and there is only so much tuna and meat that I can eat.

In my case, I use it to help me get other nutrients - fiber, anti-inflamitories, anti-oxedents, vitamins, and omega-3.

and I use it to keep me from being hungry when I have to face more atractive food. I like to get to meals satisfied and full.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
why, I'll tell you my reasons...I wanted to shift to a basic concept of more protien, less carbs, less fat.

I'd consider that a whim or successful marketing. If you like it and it seems to be working, have at it. But that doesn't make it causative of weight loss.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by why
I'd consider that a whim or successful marketing. If you like it and it seems to be working, have at it. But that doesn't make it causative of weight loss.

possibly. look, we disagree on a lot of basic things. one thing that my personal experience has led me to believe is how much your body, and how it reacts to food, changes.

I spent a great deal of time with the basic building block of my diet being complex carbs, and it worked for me for years. I ate mostly complex carbs, and tried to treat protien and fat as "condiments". it worked well.

then, I started eating more fats, and excersizing a lot less, and put on a lot of weight.

when I went to try to lose, a low fat, low protien diet based on complex carbs and extreme calorie control didn't do anything for me. nada.

a high protien diet worked very well.

I'll tell you something else. for years, people would talk to me about high protien, and I thought they were idiots.

things change.

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nil
Straight whey tends to not fill me up at all.

Same here, unless I'm adding other ingredients. Even then, I've never been able to consider it a meal replacement.

I usually stick to protein powders for my PWO shake. If my daily intake of protein is seriously lacking, I'll usually take a scoop of whey with a shaker of water. But I don't savor it or anything. I usually chug the whole concoction at once and follow it with a "chaser" of fruit or something because I find the taste of whey and water objectionable.

I rarely come close to hitting that one gram per pound mark. I weigh 175 last I checked and probably get between 100-125 grams per day. That coupled with a good lifting routine has produced pretty good results.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads