• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there a way you can sample a fragrance before you buy it?

TheDiesel

Reaction score
Most stores only have samples for the new and popular fragrances. Is there a way I can sample a fragrance? And esp for ordering online? Could I order a little sample bottle first

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The Perfumed Court (iirc, the perfumedcourt.com) offers samples in various sizes. They are not especially cost-efficient though, and I only go through them for uncommon scents that I know I can't swap away.

Most of the time, I bought off the basenotes swap board and then sold/swapped away any that REALLY stunk.

minhi

Reaction score
many perfume counter will have a little mini-spray bottles that they will fill from samples on display for you to take home. they;re tiny spray bottles that are good for 2-3 uses. i know sephora will do this for you, just tell them you want to sample something for a few days at home.

oceans11

Reaction score
Saks is a good dept store that doesn't mind handing out the free samples. I bought Bond Central Park & ended up walking out with 15 different samples!

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by indy116
You can contact the house and see if they offer free samples or small vials for sale. Some are kind enoug to send out samples for free, some charge a couple dollars, some don't offer the service at all. Or look around for stores that sell decants / samples.. Couple places: http://www.scentmonkey.com/try-before-buy.php http://theperfumedcourt.com/ Or check basenotes.
Basenotes no longer allows decants due to a really knee-jerk reaction/decision by the moderator last year. As such, the basenoters who used to do decants now have to list them here or they'll get deleted and/or banned: http://flacon.ambaric.net/index.php For more niche stuff, places like Luckyscent (www.luckyscent.com) will offer samples of most all of their offerings. That's a GREAT way to try hard-to-find stuff that you'd never want to buy blind in a full bottle.

MCsommerreid

Reaction score
I suggest contacting the maker, particularly if it's an English cologne. Floris, for example, gives a butt load of samples (the samples alone have lasted me a year) for naught but shipping.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread delivers! I was thinking about this the other day.

Casey

Reaction score
I just got two samples from Nordstrom. I'm sure any high-end department store or a store like Sephora will be glad to give you a sample.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads