• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is there a way to lighten the color of suede shoes?

Semin Park

Reaction score
I recently bought a dark brown suede loafer online, and it appears that the color of the shoe is a bit darker than I hope it'd be.

For ordinary calf shoes, you could use cream of darker shade to make it darker. But what can you do for suede shoes? Also, is it possible to make the color brighter?

Any comment would be highly appreciated. Help!

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not satisfactorily - why on earth did you buy them if the colour is wrong for you?

Astaroth

Reaction score
For ordinary calf shoes, you could use cream of darker shade to make it darker. But what can you do for suede shoes? Also, is it possible to make the color brighter?
But you dont want them darker do you?

For both calf and suede making them lighter is more challenging than making them darker. For calf you can try and add "life" to the colour by layering lighter creams and waxes but this doesnt really lighten them and naturally is very temporary.

To truly lighten either you first of all need to be brave, secondly lighten them using bleach or strong solvents to lift the colour and then redye them the colour you want. Suede can be more difficult to get an even colour and so some recommend using a spray/duster to apply the dye rather than a brush.

If they can be returned for a refund, it'd be the safer route

rbhan12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose you could leave them in the sun, it should help to fade it. Certainly a less ballsy route that bleach or solvents. Also a return-friendly route. It also depends how much lighter of a shade you desire.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Work From Home: What's Your Attire?

• PJs & Slippers

• Cozy loungewear

• Casual outfit (wool cardigan, chinos, etc)

• Suit or sport coat and dress trousers

Results are only viewable after voting.