• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there a term for non-office light/breezy cotton collared dress shirts ?

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a white shirt from JCrew that fit this description. It was quite "wrinkly" & sheer, and would be inappropriate for a jacket or tie. It's a casual SW&D shirt, not formal. Meant top be worn untucked with jeans, sweaters, etc... The placket would be constantly wrinkled, the collar was "floppy", and the fabric was very light. Yet, it's just a "white cotton dress shirt" (Just like a thick, formal Brooks Brothers office shirt is...) In fact, it easily frayed into a large tear, and is no longer usable. I'd like to order a replacement online, but don't know how to search for it. Is there a term for this type of light cotton fabic? (Poplin, Pima, twill, etc?) Actually, a lot of these seem to fit the bill. "Lightweight" http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shirts.jsp

Kentishman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Voile? Thin linen?

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
chambray?
I think you're right. Thanks. http://www.gq.com/style/wear-it-now/...-gray-chambray The pockets make it even more casual, but the fabric is the vibe I was describing: Distressed, faded, wrinkly, breezy, floppy, etc.
chambray01-landsend-300x430.jpg

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't chambray necessarily denimish (contrasting white weft)?

For example, I've got button-ups in both cotton and linen that are incredibly lightweight and breezy, but I don't own any chambray shirts. (I dislike the look of "denim" tops and that extends to chambray.)

Kei-bon

Reaction score
i love this sentence in the linked GQ description: "The white stitching gives it authentic workwear detailing without looking like you picked it up at your local hardware store."

So, really, INauthentic detailing ...

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to Walmart and got a "casual" solid white short sleeve shirt for $9. Something along the lines of: http://www.walmart.com/browse/Men/Al...133197&_mm=3up Yes, I would only consider the generic solid white (no pattern), b/c it's the least likely to be identified as "common" Walmart fashion. When I tried it on, almost as a lark, I expected the excessive bagginess. Instead, the fit is good, and the quality of this shirt is amazing It is thick as hell, yet not stiff. It feels like it could tow a car. This was a no-brainer considering white tends to stain, etc. For $9, I'll just toss this one away at the end of the summer.

gladhands

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you want a cheap chambray, poplin, madras or linen shirt, try LE Canvas, Bean Signature or Uniqlo. There's no reason to buy complete trash.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Reevolving, you are the weirdest guy.

Reevolving

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gladhands
If you want a cheap chambray, poplin, madras or linen shirt, try LE Canvas, Bean Signature or Uniqlo. There's no reason to buy complete trash.
Made in the same sweatshops as all the others. In fact, with the buy side weight Walmart can (and damn well does) throw around, this quality BLOWS AWAY the comparable shirt from LE, LL, or Uniqlo. Uniqlo sells pure ******* cardboard trash. In fact, this shirt replaces a JCrew that fell apart in 3 places within 2 years. Think for yourself, instead of buying into every myth spewed on SF.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads