Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is there a term for non-office light/breezy cotton collared dress shirts ?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Reevolving, Jun 26, 2011.

1. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

I have a white shirt from JCrew that fit this description. It was quite "wrinkly" & sheer, and would be inappropriate for a jacket or tie. It's a casual SW&D shirt, not formal. Meant top be worn untucked with jeans, sweaters, etc... The placket would be constantly wrinkled, the collar was "floppy", and the fabric was very light. Yet, it's just a "white cotton dress shirt" (Just like a thick, formal Brooks Brothers office shirt is...) In fact, it easily frayed into a large tear, and is no longer usable. I'd like to order a replacement online, but don't know how to search for it. Is there a term for this type of light cotton fabic? (Poplin, Pima, twill, etc?) Actually, a lot of these seem to fit the bill. "Lightweight" http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/shirts.jsp

2. W.R.

W.R. Senior member

It sounds like a sport shirt?

3. Kentishman

Kentishman Senior member

Voile? Thin linen?

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

5. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

chambray?
    I think you're right. Thanks. http://www.gq.com/style/wear-it-now/...-gray-chambray The pockets make it even more casual, but the fabric is the vibe I was describing: Distressed, faded, wrinkly, breezy, floppy, etc. [​IMG]

6. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

7. GoldenTribe

GoldenTribe Senior member

Isn't chambray necessarily denimish (contrasting white weft)?

For example, I've got button-ups in both cotton and linen that are incredibly lightweight and breezy, but I don't own any chambray shirts. (I dislike the look of "denim" tops and that extends to chambray.)

8. Kei-bon

Kei-bon Senior member

i love this sentence in the linked GQ description: "The white stitching gives it authentic workwear detailing without looking like you picked it up at your local hardware store."

So, really, INauthentic detailing ...

9. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

I went to Walmart and got a "casual" solid white short sleeve shirt for $9. Something along the lines of: http://www.walmart.com/browse/Men/Al...133197&_mm=3up Yes, I would only consider the generic solid white (no pattern), b/c it's the least likely to be identified as "common" Walmart fashion. When I tried it on, almost as a lark, I expected the excessive bagginess. Instead, the fit is good, and the quality of this shirt is amazing It is thick as hell, yet not stiff. It feels like it could tow a car. This was a no-brainer considering white tends to stain, etc. For $9, I'll just toss this one away at the end of the summer.

10. landshark

landshark Senior member

Ralph Lauren Darltons and Walmart chambray

11. gladhands

gladhands Senior member

If you want a cheap chambray, poplin, madras or linen shirt, try LE Canvas, Bean Signature or Uniqlo. There's no reason to buy complete trash.

12. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

Reevolving, you are the weirdest guy.

13. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

If you want a cheap chambray, poplin, madras or linen shirt, try LE Canvas, Bean Signature or Uniqlo. There's no reason to buy complete trash.
    Made in the same sweatshops as all the others. In fact, with the buy side weight Walmart can (and damn well does) throw around, this quality BLOWS AWAY the comparable shirt from LE, LL, or Uniqlo. Uniqlo sells pure fucking cardboard trash. In fact, this shirt replaces a JCrew that fell apart in 3 places within 2 years. Think for yourself, instead of buying into every myth spewed on SF.