Is there a standard "size" for darts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by teknique22, Feb 6, 2016.

1. teknique22

teknique22 Senior member

I can't figure out how much fabric is being taken in when I choose "darts" on online MTM custom shirt orders. Would it be better to order my shirts with no darts, and have a tailor take in the darts an additional amount? I can't seem to figure out if there is a standard amount people take in for darts...sites like Modern Tailor / Luxire allow you to choose "darts" on the back of the shirt - is this going to affect my shirt measurement and make it smaller than I input or is it purely for show?

Thanks

2. Sam H

Sam H Senior member

I would imagine that barring an actual tailor making the call when seeing the shirt, there would probably be a general idea based on drop. If you have a hollow lower back whether from posture or a large drop, then darts on a made to measure shirt can be useful. Maybe email the store with your drop to see what they recommend? I feel like unlike the basic measurements of a shirt, the purpose of darts is to add three dimensional shaping and may be harder to reason about then just having someone measure their wrist or chest, without an actual try on of the shirt, but like I said your best bet is probably asking them if they size darts based on drop (which presumably is derivable from the chest/waist measurement you gave)

3. GBR

GBR Senior member

No