• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there a special title for the person who supervises an intern?

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A non-controversial intern question.

I'm not sure if it works this way in the USA, but in France internships are an integral part of obtaining a diploma in many, many fields. You (ideally) don't just spend 12 weeks making photocopies, you are actually assigned a specific person to supervise and mentor you while you work. In French, this person is known as a "maÃ
00ae.png
tre de stage," which more or less means "internship supervisor." They're a normal employee, often the boss, but take on additional duties during the internship.

Is there a technical or more specific title for someone occupying this role that I'm not aware of? Does this role even exist in the States?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mentor, I suppose, but I have never heard it used as an official title. Trainee Supervisor? Apprenticeship Coordinator?

korektphool

Reaction score
In the UK, there are no special names. In any case, it's not something particularly attractive about you that you want to put on your CV.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No special title exists to my knowledge in the fields with which I am familiar. In general, I don't believe internships are as important in the US as they may be in other places.

Long ago, there were apprecticeships in lots of skilled manufacturing positions, and there may well have been a title, but the number of those apprenticeships is infintesimally small today.

Perhaps some of the doctors can weigh in here, as the medical field is the only one, to my knowledge, that remains with a strong internship tradition.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Coffee Acquisition Supervisor.

Bhowie

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Internalist

apprentice > journeyman > master > grandmaster > Tom Cruise

MrG

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know in the '90s it was "Mr. President," but I think that's changed a lot in the last 10 years.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MrG
I know in the '90s it was "Mr. President," but I think that's changed a lot in the last 10 years.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
It's usually just intern coordinator.

holymadness

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Conne.

Amused but not at all upset that this sort of became a DT.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
"Sir"?

Coburn

Reaction score
congressman

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At my job, he/she is called the dude/dudette who supervises the intern.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads