• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there a rule against wearing a hat without also wearing a jacket?

Scoundrel

Reaction score
+1 IMO, a hat with a sport coat or suit is simply undoable in this day and age, and in fact, there should be a rule against pairing the two together. Fedoras belong in the realm of street wear.

Originally Posted by JLibourel
This has to be one of the most foolish threads I've ever seen outside of DT!

If I am walking my dog a couple of miles and the temperature is 90 degrees out, I damn well WILL be wearing a hat. I also will NOT be wearing a jacket.

Any person who spends much time out in the elements and does not wear a hat of some sort is a fool!

As to fedoras being in appropriate sans jackets, there are plenty of "sport" fedoras that are fine with shirtsleeves. A very dressy fedora would be anomalous, I admit.

Indiana Jones looked pretty good performing all sorts of derring-do in his fedora.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Scoundrel
+1 IMO, a hat with a sport coat or suit is simply undoable in this day and age, and in fact, there should be a rule against pairing the two together. Fedoras belong in the realm of street wear.

Are you talking the short brimmed fedoras sold at Target or traditional medium brimmed "American" fedoras?

Scoundrel

Reaction score
I meant the short brimmed ones, worn in an ironic way of course. The "American" (Dick Tracy style) fedora is for dorks.

Master Squirrel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I meant the short brimmed ones, worn in an ironic way of course. The "American" (Dick Tracy style) fedora is for dorks.
Oftentimes, but it has to be worn with the right outfit to have an impact. And believe it or not... chicks dig dorks.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn;t say there is a deffinate rule but it looks pretty bad, so I would advise aginst it.

otacon

Reaction score

laugh.gif

Those god-awful trilbies (trilbys?) that they sell at malls need to go away. Now.

As for the real ones, a dork might try to wear one, but then he's just a dork in a trilby/fedora.

Clothes don't, and never will, make the man. But they can help to accentuate what's already there. In the case of a dork, it probably makes the matter worse. I'm using my mind's eye, and yeah, that's the case.

Italian Cut

Reaction score
Originally Posted by otacon
laugh.gif
Clothes don't, and never will, make the man. But they can help to accentuate what's already there. In the case of a dork, it probably makes the matter worse.

Exactly. Addressing the original post, style must yield to the elements, and we should always remember the elements of style, to turn a phrase. For example, if its a hot, sunny day, theres no question about throwing your jacket over your shoulder while your hat shields you from the sun, thats just common sense... But as to this new thing of purposefully walking out the door with just a shirt and even a short-brimmed "casual" fedora... strikes me as kind of hipster, honestly, and very unflattering. You know what hats are for, as far as practicality and style. Walking out the door like that is neither practical or stylish. Just my opinion.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ther are no "rules" period full stop etc.

However somethings do not look good and this is one.

Xenon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
This has to be one of the most foolish threads I've ever seen outside of DT!

90 degrees out, I damn well WILL be wearing a hat. I also will NOT be wearing a jacket.

Any person who spends much time out in the elements and does not wear a hat of some sort is a fool!

+1000.

It's amazing in this day and age where everyone including men are worried about looking young (not just cloths related) that more pay no concern to photo-aging.
Quite simply if you are outside in daylight a hat IS MANDATORY - THAT IS THE ONLY RULE!! You wear the hat even if it is the ugliest tattered thing in existance.

I have been wearing fedoras everyday of the summer without a jacket for the last 2 years with a long sleeved shirt (to protect from sun as well) and get substantially more compliments than in the winter.

I do have to agree though that it is tough finding the right fedora so that it does not look off. Regardless, i have worn tilley hats with suits when that was all that was available.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
If it is warm enough for just a shirt and no sweater or jacket why would you wear a hat ?
You might have a medical condition that requires it.

B.B. Haywood

Reaction score
The rule, I think, is a bit antiquated- from a time when naked shirt sleeves were vulgar. I also agree with the general sentiment that the flood of shoddy hats muddy the waters.

I think there is a place for it now in casual dress, however; for more formal dress it still looks awkward, IMO.

Originally Posted by MBreinin
There is a guy in my office who fancies himself quite the fine Southern Cracker.

Of late, his favorite combination has been dark colored double pleated trousers, French blue contrast collar and cuff shirts, with French cuffs, and various Panamas. No jacket. No tie.

It is actually quite grotesque. But, I have myself to blame since I have basically thrown down the sartorial gauntlet in the office and have declared the casual office dead...at least as it relates to me. Others, are trying to follow in my footsteps. It is quite interesting.

Mike

I agree that the whole outfit is crass.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads