• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 8th auction is for a Cuir de Russie card case from Equus Leather. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Is there a rule about wearing 3 piece suits with braces?

Zenny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't be able to tell when you look at someone wearing a 3pc whether they are wearing a belt or braces (or neither).

Sebastian

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Degendorff
Just don't wear belts with vests.

Even this would be possible if the trousers are high cut and so it is assured, that the buckle doesn't shoe under the vest.

But surely not the ideal solution, I agree.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No belts. Braces.

I suppose if you have self-supporting trousers that never slip, that would work too. It doesn't work for me.

ceaton

Reaction score
I've found that belts either show under vests or through them...

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
No belts. Braces.

I suppose if you have self-supporting trousers that never slip, that would work too. It doesn't work for me.

How about side adjusters?

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zenny
You shouldn't be able to tell when you look at someone wearing a 3pc whether they are wearing a belt or braces (or neither).

Not being able to see the braces is not necessarily the same as not being able to tell they're wearing them, and if they're wearing a belt you most likely will be able to see because of the tell-tale bump caused by the buckle.

Italian Cut

Reaction score
My opinion:

Always wear braces with the three-piece suit.

Always. Accept no substitutes.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I not right in saying that one of the major reasons for the waistcoat was to hide your braces, as it is?

KingOfTheForum

Reaction score
No, but no one will see the braces, so why does it matter? If you're not wearing a cowboy-esque belt buckle, you won't be able to see the belt either.

Montauk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by KingOfTheForum
No, but no one will see the braces, so why does it matter? If you're not wearing a cowboy-esque belt buckle, you won't be able to see the belt either.

If you're wearing a properly cut three-piece, the high rise trousers will require suspension to drape properly.

I've noticed that even RL has been introducing longer vests to go with lower rise trousers in 3 pc. This abhorrent "solution" to the widely perceived anachronism of the 3 pc fit dogma outlined above must be strenuously resisted and loudly mocked in retail establishments.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, 3 piece suits really need braces to look their best.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 32 3.8%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 143 17.1%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 276 33.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 130 15.6%
  • 31 - 40