• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there a place for black in casual prep style?

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
I think this is very tricky and advanced

how do you wear black casually with a generally preppy wardrobe?

without looking like this

1671457607669.jpeg

or this

1671457658749.jpeg

or this

1671458034460.jpeg

Daniel Hakimi

Reaction score
Not really.

You could make a place for it, you could figure out how to pair black with a pair of nantucket reds or something, but... I can't really see it in my head, you'd have to carve out a new prep-adjacent aesthetic.

Maybe... black jeans and a... pink u stripe OCBD... or something, wouldn't be terrible, but wouldn't be particularly good or read as preppy.

Maybe... heavy black chinos, a pink shetland, a light blue OCBD, and brown suede pennies? Or black shell pennies?

... eh. Blackness isn't really adding anything there, but it'd be fine.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
I’m thinking black Shetland sweater, white or blue ocbd, khaki pants, black penny loafers

don’t really see many examples of this in real life but seems like it would work

Pretty into black penny loafers now and trying to expand my mind on black beyond shoes/belts.

I feel like texture is key, nothing slick, and pairing with more trad colors like khaki or olive or brown could soften the harshness of black

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’ve got a black shawl collar cardigan; I think that might be a place you could use it at least in the winter. If you’re out and about, the black will help provide more solar warmth, so it’s also more practical! 🤣

MaE

Reaction score
Hi there,

I don’t really have much pictures of myself, but here’s one where I’m wearing black penny loafers, a black belt, tobacco colored
trousers and a classic blue OCBD.

524FC582-F66E-46DA-B38F-67D20F73A47E.jpeg

I do wear my black penny loafers relatively frequently with brown trousers but it really depends… with some brown shades and some rougher fabric/textures, I think that it works pretty well but it can also look pretty “meh” with some other types of brown.

There are also times where I’m just like “oh, f*ck it” and just put my black penny loafers on with a pair of very light (ecru/off-white) socks and a pair of jeans, but like with the browns, I only find that it works with some shades of blue and can’t do that combo with all of my denim.

Of course, there are a lot of people that think that some sort of brown penny loafers will always be a better choice than their black counterpart, but since I have a pair of black loafers I’m just trying to have some fun with ‘em and experiment a bit.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
First thing that came to mind.

mm204swtr-main.jpg

But is there a reason you want to introduce black into a preppy wardrobe?

basically my motivation is to wear black loafers more. But now it also seems like a bit of a challenge.

looking at black as a shade of brown is an interesting approach

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know why black turtlenecks are not a go, but I wore those under a light grey tweed sports coat and high rise khaki chinos.

Not 100% preppy, but adjacent.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
black knits certainly . cricket jumper , turtleneck , etc . imagine prep at a coffee house open mic . also black corduroy .

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anthonygeo256