• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there a "go to" peacoat maker that I have overlooked?

Vizard

Reaction score
I am going to buy a peacoat imminently.

I have looked at the Schott ones and they are a bit too boxy for me.

Private White VC does a nice one, as does Gieves and Hawkes. But is there a maker (available in the UK) that I should really take a look at?

Many thanks in advance for any wisdom

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SEH Kelly.

Though the navy one looks mostly sold out, I'd check out their thread here.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is one case where fit gets turned on its head the newer the garment.

The ones passed down from the 50s or so are actually slimmer and fit better over jackets underneath.

TheShetlandSweater

Reaction score
Did you look at the PS x PWVC one? I'm generally not a fan of peacoats, but I think that one looks very nice.

Vizard

Reaction score
Yes I've looked at that. It seems to be trying to do two jobs. That of a peacoat and an overcoat. Whereas I would like the excuse to buy both!

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Todd snyder and gloverall also makes nice pea coats.

Vizard

Reaction score
Has anyone got or had a Schott 740? They seem to be a well made item, though they have a logo (not ideal) and are somewhat reminiscent of 1990s nightclub doormen.

jayvee

Reaction score
Buzz Rickson

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The prices on some of those ‘name brand’ ones are eye watering.
I got a vintage 1968 Kersey wool US Navy one off eBay in mint condition for $40. It’s the best looking, best fitting, heaviest, warmest, 100 percent wool pea coat I’ve seen. It fits slim but is just long enough and roomy enough to wear over a tweed jacket. Failing that I’d wear it over a couple of layers or a thick knit jumper. I’m ALMOST looking forward to being in cold weather so I can try it out.

steveabdn

Reaction score
Yes I've looked at that. It seems to be trying to do two jobs. That of a peacoat and an overcoat. Whereas I would like the excuse to buy both!
I have it and it is marginally longer than the peacoat but definitely not trying to do the job of the overcoat. I would suggest it is doing its own job and you have an excuse to buy all three

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone got or had a Schott 740? They seem to be a well made item, though they have a logo (not ideal) and are somewhat reminiscent of 1990s nightclub doormen.
That was my very first coat and I still wear it 8 years later. The reprocessed wool+other fibers content had me super wary when I received it, but that was unfounded. The 32 oz wool is super thick, robust, very warm.

Hmm, which logo?

Vizard

Reaction score
There is a "subtle" Schott embroidered logo on the left breast. At least on the current model there is.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a "subtle" Schott embroidered logo on the left breast. At least on the current model there is.
740_NAV_frt1.jpg

hmm I can't seem to find it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads